standing desk calorie entry?

Options
This may be a wierd question, but how would I enter my calories that I burn using a standing desk? I recently bought a standing desk so for 8 hours a day I am actively standing up to work....should I enter the calories I burn as a total, or just the difference between that and what I would have what I would have burned while sitting? According to the calculator I have i am burning about 400 more calories each day by standing than I would if I were sitting down, but total I am burning about 1200 calories...

Replies

• teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set to "sedentary" you could try switching it to "lightly active" instead. That will up your calorie suggestion to take into account the extra activity of standing instead of sitting and then you won't have to add it every day.
    Or you could add a custom exercise for it. On the exercise page there's a "My exercises" tab and you can pick create exercise then fill in the time and calories.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    teanahk wrote: »
    If you have your activity level set to "sedentary" you could try switching it to "lightly active" instead. That will up your calorie suggestion to take into account the extra activity of standing instead of sitting and then you won't have to add it every day.

this.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Work isn't exercise - change your activity level to reflect your work
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    CassiRae wrote: »
    This may be a wierd question, but how would I enter my calories that I burn using a standing desk? I recently bought a standing desk so for 8 hours a day I am actively standing up to work....should I enter the calories I burn as a total, or just the difference between that and what I would have what I would have burned while sitting? According to the calculator I have i am burning about 400 more calories each day by standing than I would if I were sitting down, but total I am burning about 1200 calories...

Maybe these will help....Calorie-Burn Calculators

http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/754/default.aspx

http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/default.aspx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just leave your activity level at sedentary, not enter any extra calories for standing ... and then watch your weight loss progress. If you're losing weight too fast, you might manually up your calorie intake a touch.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The studies I have read state that you don't burn a significant amount of calories standing still vs. sitting. Most people don't move a significant amount more, so they found that it wasn't worth recording.