About the calories MFP wants you to consume daily...

Options
When you first created your account here, did the calories MFP give you to consume daily, work for you in helping achieve weight loss? Or did you find better luck adjusting the calories to something that worked better for you?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with MFP's calculations.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My calories were fine, but I chose a goal that was probably too aggressive (two pounds a week). I was losing, but I was too hungry. I adjusted it to 1 pound and things are going well.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

I'm concerned because I am 5'9 and weigh 177 lbs, exercise 4-5 times a week, but mfp thinks I should eat 1200 calories a day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »

I'm concerned because I am 5'9 and weigh 177 lbs, exercise 4-5 times a week, but mfp thinks I should eat 1200 calories a day.

did you put in 2lbs a week?

When I first joined (June 27th 2013) I entered my stats...5 ft 7, 185lbs female and it gave me 1460 calories to eat to lose 1lb a week. It did just that as soon as I started logging accurately ie food scale.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

What did you enter for your goal loss each week?

MFP is also designed to "eat back" your exercise calories. You log your exercise and then you are allotted additional calories each day. Some people eat back just a portion to account for any over-estimate of the burn. I eat 20-80% of my calories (depending on the intensity of the workout) and still lose weight.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

When I first joined (June 27th 2013) I entered my stats...5 ft 7, 185lbs female and it gave me 1460 calories to eat to lose 1lb a week. It did just that as soon as I started logging accurately ie food scale.

I did put a 2lb loss, weekly.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

MFP is also designed to "eat back" your exercise calories. You log your exercise and then you are allotted additional calories each day. Some people eat back just a portion to account for any over-estimate of the burn. I eat 20-80% of my calories (depending on the intensity of the workout) and still lose weight.

2 lbs a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

The MFP calculator is based on "I want to lose XX pounds a week" ....the number it gives you is before exercise.

For a second opinion that includes exercise up front (you need to be consistent).....

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This uses a percentage.....the higher percentages are for people who are more overweight. Pick something you can live with for awhile.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

2 lbs a week.

2 pounds a week is a really aggressive goal. MFP gave you a lower number so that you can generate the deficit you need to reach this goal. Since you don't have much to lose, you could experiment with more reasonable goals (1 pound a week or .5 a week) to get more calories each day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

hmmm how much weight do you want to lose? If it's under 50 change that to 1lb a week and you will see a big difference plus as mentioned you are expected to eat back at least some of your exercise calories as that number is based on the assumption no exercise.

Hence the reason you log your workouts here too.

I would imho stay away from TDEE and scooby for a bit until you know you will be consistent with exercise. I did my first 5 months here without using TDEE until I knew I would be consistent with my exercise...even then I used a formula provided from the ETP group not a site.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Put your stats in this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I put your stats in at "desk job" and 20% weight loss and came up with 1560 to lose weight.
    Use this calculator to take a look at your numbers. There are also others but this is a start.

Also, MFP is setting you at 1200 and you are to include exercise calories (eat these back). I would double check this and another calculator or two.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I originally set my profile to lose 2 lbs per week and it gave me 1200 calories (I'm 5'5" and SW was 235). I was able to manage the 1200 and I wasn't really hungry BUT the foods I was eating, although fit my calories and I was satisfied in regards to hunger, I wasn't enjoying them because sometimes I wanted something yummy but it wouldn't fit my calories. After the first 2 weeks as I was looking through the forums I kept seeing people talk about TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) so I looked up a calculator and entered my information and it gave me a number higher than what MFP had given me. I'm still losing weight AND I don't ever feel deprived.

This was the long answer to your question :smile: basically I just adjusted my calories based on numbers of calculators outside of MFP.
  • Altagracia220
    Options

hmmm how much weight do you want to lose? If it's under 50 change that to 1lb a week and you will see a big difference plus as mentioned you are expected to eat back at least some of your exercise calories as that number is based on the assumption no exercise.

I would imho stay away from TDEE and scooby for a bit until you know you will be consistent with exercise. I did my first 5 months here without using TDEE until I knew I would be consistent with my exercise...even then I used a formula provided from the ETP group not a site.

I want to lose 10-15 more pounds depending on how I feel when I hit my goal weight. My flaw is that I'm very impatient. I don't want to wait 2 and a half months to be at my goal weight.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Worked great for me. Started at sedentary (which I keep it at) with a 2lb loss as I had about 35 to lose. Made sure to recalculate every couple of lbs. Once I got about halfway to goal I changed to 1lb loss then .5lb and now I'm at maintenance. I keep it at .5lb loss just because I have a tendency to eyeball, but yeah. Totally worked for me. I don't exercise much, but when I do I log that and eat back the calories if I'm hungry.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I want to lose 10-15 more pounds depending on how I feel when I hit my goal weight. My flaw is that I'm very impatient. I don't want to wait 2 and a half months to be at my goal weight.

Aggressive goals require aggressive calorie deficits. It sounds like MFP is working as designed, you'll just have to decide how to proceed.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I originally set my goals to 2 pounds a week. I did lose, but I had a difficult time on it. I did a lot of reading on these forums and on IIFYM and realized I could be eating more and should go at a slower rate (my loss goal is only 15 lbs for now) so I adjusted it to 1500 to a 1 pound a week and still lost at a good rate without getting hangry.

Now that I have a FitBit, I let it go back to its default for 1 pound a week. It's given me 1270, but my adjustment from the tracker usually gives me back enough to eat around 1500 anyway. That's been working the best for me.

So I think MFP is spot on, but it's just an app to help you along. Finding both 1) what works and 2) what sticks is the most important thing. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Which is more important to you .. reaching your goal weight quickly or doing it in a healthy way?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Your body doesn't care about your lack of patience.

It sounds like you were patient during the first 40lbs.... Did something change?

Or has it all been a sprint to the finish because you are really trying to set yourself up for repeat cycles of dieting?
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Your body doesn't care about your lack of patience.

It sounds like you were patient during the first 40lbs.... Did something change?

Or has it all been a sprint to the finish because you are really trying to set yourself up for repeat cycles of dieting?

I guess I just want to be done eating at a deficit. I want to maintain, so I'm rushing myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It has no opinion on how much you should eat (other than at least 1200), actually.

What it does is solve a math problem--here, your maintenance (without exercise) minus 1000 (the number of calories someone needs to deduct from maintenance to lose 2 lbs).

And note that it's WITHOUT exercise--the way this program works you are expected to add the exercise calories back in if you actually do the exercise, so it's really saying eat 1200 on rest days and probably 1500-1800 on the 4-5 days you exercise, depending on what you do.

The fact is that unless you are really big (and you aren't, obviously) most women don't have maintenance amounts of more than 2200 WITHOUT counting exercise. As a result, if you put in sedentary or even lightly active and 2 lbs/week, your pre exercise goal will be 1200.

As others have said, given how much you have to lose (not much), that's probably not a reasonable goal.