Squats (5x5)

Options
I started doing Stronglifts (5x5) I find it so hard to keep my balance when squatting, so therefore I have a hard time increasing the weight even though I KNOW I can lift heavier. It's just I'm kind of wobbling, and Ending up putting my weight on the front of my feet. (I think you're supposed to push with your heels?) I'm not sure if I'm just naturally clumsy, or I should widen my stance, does this get better with practice? etc. Any help?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you doing high or low bar squats?

try doing low bar if you are doing high bar or the reverse...

Try widening your stance....

do you find you are leaning forward? is that why you are losing your balance?

and yes push through your heels.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    are you doing high or low bar squats?

try doing low bar if you are doing high bar or the reverse...

Try widening your stance....

do you find you are leaning forward? is that why you are losing your balance?

and yes push through your heels.
    Not sure what low bar/high bar is sorry so new. lol. The bar is up near my shoulders. I think that maybe I do lean forward. It's almost like if I don't I think I will fall.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some of it is practice, some of it is strengthening those stablizing muscles. Play around with bar placement a little (up higher, across your shoulders at the base of your neck, all the way down to almost your shoulder blades) and see what feels good. Keep your body tight and control the weight. Beyond that, don't get too worked up in "perfect" form as there's no such thing. Good form will vary slightly person to person, so practice with manageable weight until you find your sweet spot, then focus on that.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    Awesome. I will try that for sure.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You just started, you'll be fine. It will take a while to get used to the movement. Even after years of squatting I still wobble a little at maximal weights. Just work to keep it in check.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    there is an art to squatting. iif you are ending up on your toes, you are trying to use your quads to lift the bar. focus on using your glutes, keep them tight, use them to lift the bar . even if you have to drop weight to build them up and learn to use them, its ok to drop weight to get the form right.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just keep squatting- squatting is surprisingly technical- you'll continue to work on your form and little niggling details- the ideal is to have the same form EVER time you get under the bar- but it takes time and practice- and it's it's ALWAYS a work in progress. I constantly am thinking about my form while I do this.

It's fine- keep working on it- you can add in goblet squats as well to help with mobility as an accessory lift if you have time for it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's fine- keep working on it- you can add in goblet squats as well to help with mobility as an accessory lift if you have time for it.

I would make time to fit this advice in. I think it would help.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    Perfect! Now I'm stoked for tomorrow's work out!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Mobility and muscle balance. I'd video sets from the side, front and back so you can evaluate your movement patterns and work on improving mobility and muscle strength where you need it most. Congratulations for working to be your best!