Calf Cramps??

Options
Yeah, so every single time I've ever tried to do lying hamstring curls, I get calf cramps. Anyone know why this is? I thought I was trying to do too heavy weight, but it continued to happen with lowered weight. It really upsets me because I would love to do these but it cramps up too badly.

Any tips/info is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Usually only happens to me if the weight is too high. Lower the weight and try to focus on using your hamstrings for the movement rather than moving as much weight as possible. Keep your hamstrings contracted on the negative and make sure to control the weight both ways. Since doing this I haven't had calf cramps in a long time!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try dorsiflexing your feet. This stretches the calves, which makes it harder for them to engage.

Does it happen on squats & lunges? Those exercises are more functional than the leg curl machine.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You could try supplementing with magnesium....best is magnesium citrate in a drink form. Start with half a dose and see if that helps.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try dorsiflexing your feet. This stretches the calves, which makes it harder for them to engage.

Does it happen on squats & lunges? Those exercises are more functional than the leg curl machine.

Once I did this I stopped having this calf problem. I think that we unintentionally use the calf during this hamstring exercise. Try focusing on what your feet are doing and see if this helps. I bet that it will.
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can do other exercises that hit the same muscles
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts if you want to isolate the hamstrings.

Or, don't point your toes when you do leg curls.
  • rwethington654
    rwethington654 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I think it may be how I flex my feet so I am about to go work on that!