Good article on "eating back exercise calories"

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I just started "eating back about 50%", Also upped my calories to 1420 before exercise. I'm leaning up steady and much happier. I still am learning a lot about how my body works, so in six or so months I'll see. I exercise every day so far in 23 days (I missed 1 the day before Easter).

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

Just read this and it makes sense, so far to me.

Replies

• dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Even though it ends
    So, should you eat back the calories burned through exercise? The answer isn’t yes or no. The answer is stop thinking about it this way.

The examples don't eat a set % based on combined maintenance & exercise. The examples eat a set % based on maintenance and then adds exercise. The strength training examples adds 250, the cardio example adds 500. In other words, they are eating exercise calories back. I surprised no one who commented on the article noticed that.
  • uvi5
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    Even though it ends
    So, should you eat back the calories burned through exercise? The answer isn’t yes or no. The answer is stop thinking about it this way.

The examples don't eat a set % based on combined maintenance & exercise. The examples eat a set % based on maintenance and then adds exercise. The strength training examples adds 250, the cardio example adds 500. In other words, they are eating exercise calories back. I surprised no one who commented on the article noticed that.

I eat a set calories (if i'm getting this right) and add exercise (I eat about 1/2 back). I'm still learning, but so far, so good. In the future I may go to TDEE, but for now i'm using NEAT. I did not read the comments. I may check those out. :smiley:
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think that's a decent strategy. As long as total burned > total consumed you'll lose weight. You can lose weight by eating 50% 100% or any % of exercise calories as long as you also always eat under whatever maintenance happens to be.
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    I think that's a decent strategy. As long as total burned > total consumed you'll lose weight. You can lose weight by eating 50% 100% or any % of exercise calories as long as you also always eat under whatever maintenance happens to be.

I'm still learning about what my actual maintenance is. I am always home, but do the cooking, cleaning (make bed, straighten up house, clean kitty box, feed kitty, play with kitty :smile:, bath, etc... I also love to exercise, but stopped for several months and gained around 25 pounds. I have been at this now (mfp) for almost 2 months and found a comfortable level at 1420/calories per day + 1/2 of my exercise calories. I work out 2 hours (approximately) a day. I started weights 2 weeks ago Today will be my 6th time on weights (1 hour 25 minutes per session). My clothes are getting loose and the last time I weighed I was 9 Lbs down from the start Feb 16th. I am staying clear of the scale for a while and going by how my "slim" clothes fit. So, fortunately i'm in no hurry. I love good food and want to make sure I have the right balance for me. Trial and error. I am ready to get back on my rollerblades in the next few days :sunglasses: So much to learn, but I'm really enjoying the process. I am very thankful at my age that I have the energy I have and hope I gain even more. I don't mind in the least to workout hard (considering I do not work at a job) and be able to eat well and still get in shape. Thank you for your input on this. I still have much to learn :smile:
  • stuartk75
    stuartk75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tend to be flexible about it. I don't make a plan to eat my exercise calories back, but if I get hungry later in the day I'll have something. But I'll only eat until I'm satisfied.

Today for example I burned around 700 call at the gym and then climbing this evening. I've gone over my food by about 100 cals, and still have 600 left. But I'm typing this from bed so I'm done for the day. I think it would be pointless to get up and eat another 300 cals just for the sake of it.
  • uvi5
    Options
    stuartk75 wrote: »
    I tend to be flexible about it. I don't make a plan to eat my exercise calories back, but if I get hungry later in the day I'll have something. But I'll only eat until I'm satisfied.

Today for example I burned around 700 call at the gym and then climbing this evening. I've gone over my food by about 100 cals, and still have 600 left. But I'm typing this from bed so I'm done for the day. I think it would be pointless to get up and eat another 300 cals just for the sake of it.

I agree. :smile: