Stretch mark removal creams

Options
Those of you who've been able to reduce/lighten old stretch marks, which creams did you use? I have stretch marks that are over a decade old and I want to make them less apparent if that's possible. There's so much stuff out there and it's so confusing. I want to know which products have actually worked for you guys, if any.

Replies

• 49ermama
    49ermama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I saw a home remedy on Pinterest that was meant for cellulite( coffee grinds, olive oil, and sea salt) I use the coffee grinds from that morning warm and mix together apply in tub before shower. I have been surprised at the improvement on stretch marks and mine are over a decade old aswell, good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are scars. You can't get rid of them. Losing weight brings your epidermis closer together (less stretching) so the marks get "thinner" and some cases lighter.
    There are cremes that camouflage them, but they are of course just temporary. Topicals are just meant for temporary coverup anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stretch marks are scars. You can't get rid of them. Losing weight brings your epidermis closer together (less stretching) so the marks get "thinner" and some cases lighter.
    There are cremes that camouflage them, but they are of course just temporary. Topicals are just meant for temporary coverup anyway.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, that sucks. :/
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yeah, much like wrinkle creams, they don't really work (dammit). There are products that make your skin feel firmer, but fading stretch marks or scars? Nada. Sorry.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    Oh well. Scars are kinda badass anyway.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've had them since I was 12, and they're still there despite years of trying creams and potions. I find they're less visible in the summer when I'm tan, but I don't know of a way to remove them beyond laser treatments. :/
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Have you read about microneedling / microrollers ? If you don't mind some pain it may be helpful.

I just wanted to throw that out there in case it's something you would be interested to know and read up on. I use one but I do not have use mine for scars however when I first started researching them and the process it was receiving great reviews on acne scars and stretch marks.

You can have this done professionally but you can also buy microneedle rollers on Amazon. I use one on my face after doing the research and watching youtube videos.

Just a word of caution that if you do decide to try it yourself only perform it once every 4 - 6 weeks so and it can hurt.

Just throwing that out there for you to research and decide.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    Have you read about microneedling / microrollers ? If you don't mind some pain it may be helpful.

I just wanted to throw that out there in case it's something you would be interested to know and read up on. I use one but I do not have use mine for scars however when I first started researching them and the process it was receiving great reviews on acne scars and stretch marks.

You can have this done professionally but you can also buy microneedle rollers on Amazon. I use one on my face after doing the research and watching youtube videos.

Just a word of caution that if you do decide to try it yourself only perform it once every 4 - 6 weeks so and it can hurt.

I'd never heard of this! Apparently works by boosting collagen production. I'll read up on it. Thanks!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I'd never heard of this! Apparently works by boosting collagen production. I'll read up on it. Thanks!

Right. :) You are welcome.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Your body is not ruined; you're a goddam tiger who earned her stripes! And you're fierce! Mine have faded over time, they used to be purple and I hated them but now they are light colored and I don't even pay attention anymore. Mine seem less noticeable when I'm tan too. The healthier I get, the more confident I feel and the less I care.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    Your body is not ruined; you're a goddam tiger who earned her stripes! And you're fierce! Mine have faded over time, they used to be purple and I hated them but now they are light colored and I don't even pay attention anymore. Mine seem less noticeable when I'm tan too. The healthier I get, the more confident I feel and the less I care.

I'll just hold off on the bikini until I get ripped and then tell everybody I got the stretch marks because my hammies tore through my skin. B)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Those don't work. They cause acute inflammation that hides stretch marks and wrinkles and plumps up skin for a short period. Most places that do it use hyaloronic acid to help the device glide over the skin. The needles push the HA into the dermis. The HA is hydrophilic and draws water into the dermis, making it thicker and more even over scars.

Basically, it's technologically advanced smoke and mirrors.

Laser treatments produce underwhelming results. I don't know of a single reputable physician in the U.S. who offers laser for stretch marks because they just don't work.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had my last kid 20 years ago, and my stretch marks are still visible and I still hate them just as much now as i did then!
    I tried a lot of "stretch mark creams", Man i must have spent thousands of dollars back in my 20's on magical creams. I'm so sorry to say not one of them worked. I wish I could give you the name of something that works, but i haven't found it yet :cry:
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Those don't work. They cause acute inflammation that hides stretch marks and wrinkles and plumps up skin for a short period. Most places that do it use hyaloronic acid to help the device glide over the skin. The needles push the HA into the dermis. The HA is hydrophilic and draws water into the dermis, making it thicker and more even over scars.

Laser treatments produce underwhelming results. I don't know of a single reputable physician in the U.S. who offers laser for stretch marks because they just don't work.

Dermaroller does work on stretch marks. Home rollers won't. They don't penetrate deep enough. It is a long process and multiple treatments are needed.

The clinic I work at has treated ample patients with this treatment who don't have stretch marks coming back. It just takes time and money and patience.

I just ignore mine. They aren't a big thing in the grand scheme of things.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options

Not worth it. This method is trying to akin it self to fractional laser surgery. In that process the laser causes microtears near the scar to encourage new collagen production. But it's a surgery. Taking some roller with needles sticking out of them ISN'T the same as laser surgery. Don't fall for the hype.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

Dermaroller does work on stretch marks. Home rollers won't. They don't penetrate deep enough. It is a long process and multiple treatments are needed.

The clinic I work at has treated ample patients with this treatment who don't have stretch marks coming back. It just takes time and money and patience.

I just ignore mine. They aren't a big thing in the grand scheme of things.

I have seen many offices that specialize in Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery that offer dermarolling AND laser treatment for scars.

The dermarollers they use have larger needles and the damage the cause is more... bloody than you could do at home. But i have seen many before/afters with good results even up to 1 year later.

As someone who has had 4 laser treatments for facial veins (YAG 1064NM "cool touch" laser and Pulse Dye Laser) and spent thousands of dollars, i still have unsatisfactory results. I can't say though that it wouldn't work well for stretch marks.

http://www.realself.com/stretch-marks-treatment

It seems like reviews are mixed but there are a ton of before/after and even reviews on cosmetic surgery above.

Other than that, your only option is to give it time and hope they fade to a lighter shade and deal with them. :)

ETA: By the way, the type of laser for skin resurfacing they use is pretty dang harsh. That's all i gotta say.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've had stretch marks from my first child (born over 40 years ago) even though I permeated of cocoa butter the entire time I was pregnant. They do eventually get lighter (mine took about two years) but they are still pretty visible. Other things have happened to my body as well as I age. That's why at the very least, I want to get back down to 110!!!!! THAT is something I can control!
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have extensive stretch marks all over my body. I got the ones on my breasts, legs, bottom and hips from puberty at age 12. I got more on my stomach and arms from weight gain. The ones on my hips were so large and dark when I was young (I have an extreme pear shape) that people used to ask me what happened or what was wrong (they looked brutal!)

Now I've just learned to live with them. Most women have them and some men too. It's just part of being human. I promise that learning to love your body will bring you more peace and happiness then expensive creams or surgeries to treat something that's completely natural.

eta: they do fade over time but they are scars. They will be there forever.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist recommends Mederma for reducing scars, and I think they have a version for stretch marks. But it's expensive, and I wouldn't bother with it without checking with your dermatologist first. (Ask about it when you do your annual skin cancer screening, which is covered by most insurance, I think.) Just don't ask a regular general practitioner. They're not experts in everything. And don't ask a cosmetic dermatologist that will try to sell you snake oil.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, but why do you never see celebrity mums with stretch marks? I understand they can photo shop them out in pictures in magazines etc
    But what about on TV?? Surely they can't photo shopesque them out on there?? It's obviously not that they are immune to stretch marks, or have they In fact found something to prevent or get rid of them??