People who do a Tough Mudder without training

Options
124»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race.

By that logic, the only 5k worth running is this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93qwVmBseE
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I will be doing my third Tough Guy and Gal this year. It's a timed run/obstacle course and everybody get's to say they did it. hopefully some will get hooked and come back next year to improve their time. I don't care either way because I am proud to say I finished and if anybody who is clearly out of shape and at the edge of death says they finished too, I'll buy them a beer because you just don't know where they came from to get there and how much encouragement they need to go further.

I get that completing an event is an accomplishment for some but for others, just showing up is really hard work (and sometimes the beginning of a journey to greatness).

Also: It's one thing to say that people who finish without training are diminishing the value of your accomplishment but it's also true to say you finished an event that somebody without training can complete (ignoring cheating).

Either way, full points for finishing!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've signed up for my first Tough Mudder May 8th. I normally do a lot of endurance (run half marathons) and strength training anyway through workouts every day. Did I train in obstacles? NO. Do I plan on skipping hard obstacles if I deem might cause injury? YES.

I paid $133 I dont care if it cheapens the event. I am paying just like everyone else. And I am there to complete it and have fun. OH AND FOR THE BEER!!!
    I'm pretty sure most people there aren't super elite atheletes.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    OK I didn't exactly mean that to sound snarky but it kinda came out that way.

My (perhaps slightly douchebaggy) opinion: completion of a short distance race is not an accomplishment. Completion of a long distance race in a ridiculously long amount of time is also not really that great of an accomplishment. I will use my experience in running and triathlon as an example.

An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race. It *should* not be some massive undertaking to cover the distance for any able-bodied adult human. Once you do it, give yourself a pat on the back but realize the work isn't done. Pick a time goal (you can compete with yourself if you like) and beat it. Then do it again. Set PRs. I would guess the same thing happens in the OCRs. Just about anybody that has all of their limbs intact *can* complete it, trained or not. That is *not* the point of the event though.
    ^ This.

I could not imagine stepping up to any starting line thinking I don't care about time, I just want to finish. Instead, I'm looking around at all the people that I'm going to beat during the race.
    But... maybe I'm hyper-competitive. If I'm out for a jog around a lake and someone is running in the same direction as me, it's a race. It doesn't matter if they know it or not. I will catch and pass them. That's my motivation when training. Pick a person, pass them. Pick another, pass them. Wash, rinse, repeat. That mentality led me to win my heat at last year's warrior dash (5k OCR).
    Of course, the person I'm most competitive with is myself. I always want to do a little bit better than I did before.

Well, if it works for you, fine. However, not everyone has the same goal. I couldn't care less to beat random people in a race (actual race or a jog around the lake). I don't run a lot and have no interest ever in running a marathon. But I'm interested in running a 5k, just for myself, to see if I can do it and yes that will be an accomplishment for me. Some people in this thread have an holier than thou attitude. Like if you're not fit enough, you shouldn't even attempt a challenge that you are not sure to complete properly. Meh.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I knew my statements would be entirely misconstrued. I figured that would happen here.

You know what happened after my last marathon? I hung out until well past the 6:30 mark and was cheering people in. I was *HAPPY* they were out there putting out what they had. Again I am going to say something people will not like, but if you walked most of the marathon, you really just travelled 26.2 miles. Perhaps a huge accomplishment for the person doing it and I won't detract from their achievement (hence my cheering them in) but I wouldn't act like it was a massive accomplishment.

I think I also put "able-bodied" so those who are suffering from situations like fibromyalgia or the like are not exactly who my statements were directed at.

I will do the same for the last finishers at a 5k. I will stand there and cheer them in even if its past 1 hour or even longer. I am always happy when people make an effort. Genuinely happy.
  • glevinso
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Its a mud run. Why get your panties in a twist that people aren't taking a mud run seriously enough? I mean, if you don't train and do something stupid, well HA! You're stupid. But why does that affect me? Say i win a 5k. Does it mean less to me because someone didn't train and walked in the back? Nope. They gonna get some side-eye if they come up to me and start bragging about how they run 5ks, but that's about it.
    See, that last part is exactly what I'm talking about. When these untrained people dismiss Tough Mudder-like events by saying "I didn't prepare at all and I finished anyway," I'm likely to give them the same kind of side-eye that you're talking about.

I get that it's not a race, which is why I personally made no mention of finishing time. It's also why I give props to the guys who do train hard and tackle these challenges, even if they aren't in great shape. Treating it as though it's something that anyone can get up off the couch and do, however, doesn't fit the spirit of the event -- certainly not in the manner that the organizers try to promote. It's also unsafe and encourages other people to attempt these challenges without preparation.

I don't say the same thing about family-style 5Ks, for example, where people will often finish in a leisurely stroll. Those are sold on an entirely different basis, and the potential for injury is virtually nil.

I can see this. If someone says "I love racing half marathons" but it turns out all they do is run/walk without an eye towards time, well then they get side eye because they aren't racing. But that's me thinking that words mean specific things.

I also don't think that someone who decides on a lark that they are going to run an untrained marathon and comes in near 6 hours (a thing that happens often enough on MFP that I'm starting to think that 5:45-6:00 is just the time it takes an untrained human to cover 26.2 miles) should be bragging about their marathon expertise.

But it doesn't cheapen my experience. Its just dumb. It certainly doesn't bother me enough to start a thread about it.

Perhaps this was a better-said way to convey what I was trying to say.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I knew my statements would be entirely misconstrued. I figured that would happen here.

You know what happened after my last marathon? I hung out until well past the 6:30 mark and was cheering people in. I was *HAPPY* they were out there putting out what they had. Again I am going to say something people will not like, but if you walked most of the marathon, you really just travelled 26.2 miles. Perhaps a huge accomplishment for the person doing it and I won't detract from their achievement (hence my cheering them in) but I wouldn't act like it was a massive accomplishment.

I think I also put "able-bodied" so those who are suffering from situations like fibromyalgia or the like are not exactly who my statements were directed at.

I will do the same for the last finishers at a 5k. I will stand there and cheer them in even if its past 1 hour or even longer. I am always happy when people make an effort. Genuinely happy.

So, you're basically the Kanye West of the fitness world?

"You did great, and all... and I'm glad you finished, but Florence Griffith Joyner was the best runner of all TIME!"
  • glevinso
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race.

By that logic, the only 5k worth running is this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93qwVmBseE

I realize this is hyperbole but my point simply was for the goal to be self improvement, not to hit a world record :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I knew my statements would be entirely misconstrued....Again I am going to say something people will not like...

Yeah, those two usually go together... :smiley:

:drinker:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

You stay and you cheer them, but in your mind you are judging them for their "not great accomplishment". And then you post about them on a public forum. No, that doesn't sound genuine.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So. How does everyone feel about charity runners at Boston?

:trollface:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I think the OP feels like the guy who plays the lottery weekly while busting their butt at work to earn money, then seeing a hobo come up with a dollar bill they panned for, buy a ticket then win it.

That's life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

How about the Kona Ironman lottery? ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

And I drowned because I didn’t train. Now that would be stupid on me. But we’re talking about a mud run event. Probably not the same thing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And I drowned because I didn’t train. Now that would be stupid on me. But we’re talking about a mud run event. Probably not the same thing.

That wasn't the point.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

They have every bit as much right to be there as a qualifier does! They earned...er, I mean, paid for their right to be there...

...or something.

(I don't really know how that whole system works...but they're staging for this little "5k marathon" race outside my hotel window right now, so that seems like the Boston Marathon equivalent of having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

They have every bit as much right to be there as a qualifier does! They earned...er, I mean, paid for their right to be there...

...or something.

(I don't really know how that whole system works...but they're staging for this little "5k marathon" race outside my hotel window right now, so that seems like the Boston Marathon equivalent of having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

I’m staying at a Holiday Inn Express right now, have I qualified for this 5K? Please say no. I really don’t feel like running right now.