smoothies good or bad?

Options
I tried a new smoothie today two small bananas 50ml of skimmed milk and a pinch of cinnamon adds up to around 150kcal and tastes delicious. I found another recipe where you swap the milk for coconut water so might try this aswell what do you think about smoothies good or bad for weight loss?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If they keep you in a calorie deficit, good, if they put you over your cals, bad...
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Two bananas and skim milk is way over 150 calories. Probably more like 275.

Smoothies are delicious, but aren't something I do regularly - too many calories and not enough substance to keep me from feeling hungry in a half hour.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I tried a new smoothie today two small bananas 50ml of skimmed milk and a pinch of cinnamon adds up to around 150kcal and tastes delicious. I found another recipe where you swap the milk for coconut water so might try this aswell what do you think about smoothies good or bad for weight loss?

I love the way smoothies taste and they help me meet my nutritional goals. I log the calories so I can be sure that I maintain a deficit. It works for me.

Smoothies, by themselves, are neither good or bad for weight loss.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Smoothies can be a good way to get vegetables into your diet if you don't normally eat them. I don't usually bother with smoothies, because I hate cleaning out the blender, and I am just fine eating raw spinach with nothing on it, unlike my nephew who doesn't want to eat anything that's not a chicken nugget.

Smoothies are food and can be a tool a person uses to improve their diet or not based on their needs and inclinations. They're neutral. If you can consume them and still hit your caloric goals and macros, and you like them, great. If they put you over your calories, or skew your macros out of balance, then don't use them.

It's not really a black and white question and shades of moderation are required with all foods and eating styles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Good point. OP, you need to weigh your fruit.
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options
    Yeah if there low calorie and filling. I want to start having them for breakfast as there healthy and filling want to try out some with just fruit and nothing else. As I usually eat cards for breakfast and I have been having trouble finding something I like that fills me up that's low calorie.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Yeah if there low calorie and filling. I want to start having them for breakfast as there healthy and filling want to try out some with just fruit and nothing else. As I usually eat cards for breakfast and I have been having trouble finding something I like that fills me up that's low calorie.

I know you mean "carbs" but I'm still giggling over the thought of trying to choke down a pack of "low carb" playing cards for breakfast... >_<
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Having a smoothie with just fruit is just another form of having carbs for breakfast. And if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that -- but you're just swapping one type of carb for another.

I personally find that eating just fruit -- whether it is whole or in a smoothie -- for breakfast leaves me starving. Adding fat and protein to a smoothie gives me a feeling of satiety. But some people enjoy it. You can experiment for find what works for you.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Smoothies are delicious, but aren't something I do regularly - too many calories and not enough substance to keep me from feeling hungry in a half hour.

Yes, this. They're delicious, but kind of more convenient when you're on the run. You get a lot of nutrition in a quick drink. I do them for a quick breakfast sometimes. (But if it's, say, the weekend and I'm not going anywhere, I'll drink one for breakfast and the be left like: hm....

I prefer, for the same calories, to eat and chew more bulky food.

But, all in all, they're great if you enjoy them and they satisfy you. Their possibilities are infinite, which is fun.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Fruit is mostly carbs, water, and a little fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is how I feel--I just can't drink something and be satisfied, no matter how many calories (and they add up fast!)--and also they tend toward the sweet and for a meal (even breakfast) I usually prefer savory.

They really work and are filling for some people, however. So OP, experiment and see how you feel.
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options

I know you mean "carbs" but I'm still giggling over the thought of trying to choke down a pack of "low carb" playing cards for breakfast... >_<

Cards >_< haha I did realise as soon as I posted and did giggle myself.....hehe
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options

Having a smoothie with just fruit is just another form of having carbs for breakfast. And if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that -- but you're just swapping one type of carb for another.

I personally find that eating just fruit -- whether it is whole or in a smoothie -- for breakfast leaves me starving. Adding fat and protein to a smoothie gives me a feeling of satiety. But some people enjoy it. You can experiment for find what works for you.

I know what your saying but surely eating just fruit for breakfast is better than a bowl of cereal or 2 slices of toast??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well if one is using it as their sole weight loss tool.............then bad. If someone is adding it to their nutritional intake to increase fruit/vegetable intake................then good. Of course if those calories are like 400 calories for one and you drink 2 of them...........then it takes away from your food intake. So bad there. I guess it depends on what you're using the smoothie for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I want to start having them for breakfast as there healthy and filling want to try out some with just fruit and nothing else.

For me just fruit for breakfast would never be filling and would make it hard for me to meet my protein and fat goals, but definitely experiment and see what works for you.

I tend to like to have protein and veggies at every meal, plus a bit of fat. Not everyone feels that way, though, as different things work for different people.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options

But if you do them with just fruit, that's basically all carbs. That's basically a fruit juice, lol.

For them to be more filling, you can use milk, yogurt, almonds, nuts, peanut butter, PB2, ground flaxseed, cocoa powder, oats, protein powder... etc :)
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is how I feel--I just can't drink something and be satisfied, no matter how many calories (and they add up fast!)--and also they tend toward the sweet and for a meal (even breakfast) I usually prefer savory.

They really work and are filling for some people, however. So OP, experiment and see how you feel.

I prefer sweet for breakfast I wish it was savoury then I might lose weight faster
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I know what your saying but surely eating just fruit for breakfast is better than a bowl of cereal or 2 slices of toast??

Better in what way?

If you're talking about calories, you can easily consume more with just fruit. If you're talking about satiety, it could easily provide less (depending, of course, on the type of cereal or bread used for the toast). If we're talking nutrients, it depends on what you plan on eating the rest of the day.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a smoothie. I actually eat one almost every day. But I don't think it is "better" than a bowl of cereal or toast. It's just a different food.
  • bobbiecordero92
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well if one is using it as their sole weight loss tool.............then bad. If someone is adding it to their nutritional intake to increase fruit/vegetable intake................then good. Of course if those calories are like 400 calories for one and you drink 2 of them...........then it takes away from your food intake. So bad there. I guess it depends on what you're using the smoothie for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It was my afternoon snack because I was starving and didn't just want a piece of fruit but am now thinking to have them for breakfast
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I agree that the calories seem low. Even small bananas come in at 90 calories each. 50 ml of semi skimmed milk adds around 25. So the shake is easily 200 calories if the bananas are actually "small."