MFP Sugars???

Options
So I read here recently that the sugars listed in MFP's database are 'added, processed sugars'. This is incorrect and their sugar calculation is starting to really tick me off.

Breakfast this morning included 1/4 cup of raisins - 23 gm(?) sugar. Add to that a cup of milk at 12 and I'm already up to 35 natural sugars - NO ADDED/PROCESSED SUGARS! Whoops! Hit the allotment and haven't even gotten away from the breakfast table yet!

Then I made the horrible choice of eating a small (about 2.5" diam) apple for lunch which added a whopping 19. Fifty-five sugars. Dinner still looms on the horizon. No doubt adding LOTS of natural sugar to the diet and I still haven't dropped one granule of processed sugar into ANYTHING! But I have zoomed way beyond the MFP recommended allotment and will probably get close to doubling it before the end of day.

So... What's up with this? Anyone else finding this to be a problem?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You read wrong. "Sugars" in the MFP database are just sugars.

Many people just ignore the MFP guideline.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Stop hating on sugar. :(
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I guess until food manufacturers are forced to put added sugars onto their food labels, the MFP database numbers will be pretty meaningless for most people who don't need to track for blood sugar reasons.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Go under settings in your food diary and change what you track to not include sugar. Problem solved. B)

I'm being serious. Change it. You're making yourself crazy over a frigging apple, some raisins, and some milk. Even if were a pint of ice cream and some chocolate that sent you over, it wouldn't matter unless you have a health problem.

Do not track this thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I guess until food manufacturers are forced to put added sugars onto their food labels, the MFP database numbers will be pretty meaningless for most people who don't need to track for blood sugar reasons.

Even if the database did distinguish between added sugars and foods that inherently contain it, I'm not sure how that would add meaning.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, MFP's sugar number is for added sugar, so you have to take out the "natural" sugars on your own, so when you're looking at the sugar number, subtract your raisins, milk, and apple.

Ofc, I could be wrong. I don't track sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While it would be nice if they separated them, and I suspect they soon will, correct, MFP just shows "sugar". Doesn't matter to MFP what it's from, nor what kind.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    AFAIK, MFP's sugar number is for added sugar, so you have to take out the "natural" sugars on your own, so when you're looking at the sugar number, subtract your raisins, milk, and apple.

Ofc, I could be wrong. I don't track sugar.

I don't track sugar, either, for the very reasons I pointed out in the OP (And I've got more important things on which to focus my brain energy than whether or not MFP knows from sugars!). The numbers are unreliable and, for the most part, meaningless. I just thought it was curious how some people on the site are slaves to those numbers and yet, just counting naturally occurring sugars in food can turn them into potential diabetics if they were to believe the posted numbers.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    For diabetics and pre-diabetics, this number is needed because a sugar IS a sugar. For everyone else though, they should just delete tracking it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Stop hating on sugar. :(
    Gimmie dem sugarz
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You're making yourself crazy over a frigging apple, some raisins, and some milk.

Trust me when I say I am SO not making myself crazy over this. I just thought IT was... well... crazy and might warrant a bit of fresh air on the subject.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding this to be a problem?

Nope. I just ignore the sugar. In fact, I changed that column to something else.

• Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was watching my sugar go up and up and up as well, and I was eating a lot of fruit during the day and driving the numbers sky high. SO, I switched my sugar to Fiber and now MFP tracks my fiber. If im eating healthy and I have a calorie deficit and im losing weight and feeling better I figure im ok in the sugar department.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Go under settings in your food diary and change what you track to not include sugar. Problem solved. B)

I'm being serious. Change it. You're making yourself crazy over a frigging apple, some raisins, and some milk. Even if were a pint of ice cream and some chocolate that sent you over, it wouldn't matter unless you have a health problem.

Do not track this thing.

Thank you for the tip. I didn't know I could do this.