May be overdoing it, need advice and a begginner question.

Options
mcflykdr
mcflykdr Posts: 3 Member
So in February my wife and I started going to the gym. it has turned out to be rather addicting. My week looks like this:

Monday - Wednesday - Friday
Lap Swimming - 45 Minutes (I'm still around 1000 yards)
Running - 15 Minutes (1.5 Miles) Speed [Well for me at least]
*Weights - 45 Minutes (Still ironing out my routine here, trying different programs)

Tuesday - Thursday
Lap Swimming - 45 Minutes (~1000 yards)

Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday
Running - 40 Minutes (3.6 Miles) Endurance

Sunday Rest

* Still getting used to the gym and mainly using machines to lift. I want to get into free weights but it's still a little intimidating.

Current Calorie goal is 1520.

Yesterday I hit 2462 calories of an adjusted goal of 2534. This is where I'm confused. My goal is adjusted as I enter exercise and as my FitBit syncs. Should I still be aiming to only hit 1520, which admittedly is low, or should I trust the adjusted goals. MY net calories have been under the goal of 1520, should I be eating more? I'm really not looking for my body to start tearing down muscle and I'm really enjoying the swimming and running.

Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With eight pounds to lose, you should definitely not have a 1520 calorie goal. That's less than I eat as a female. Change it to half a pound a week, log everything accurately (including your Fitbit burns...if you're entering exercise into MFP, be wary of those amounts and only eat half back), and go from there.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you have Fitbit & MFP set to same goal? Such as 1 pound per week? If so, let the tools work for you and eat the calories that you earn.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You should definitely not be eating 1500 calories with your stats and the amount and type of exercise you are doing. MPF gives you a calorie goal based on your weight and weekly weight loss goal. (With so little left to lose it shouldn't be more than .5 pound per week) You don't need to exercise to meet that weight loss goal because that deficit is already built in. When you exercise, you burn more calories. MFP is designed to give you back those extra calories to eat so that you maintain the weight loss goal you set. Losing too fast will cause more muscle loss. In fact, if you're lifting weights and eating too few calories you're pretty much negating the effects of the lifting; it's counter-productive.

Honestly, you have very little weight to lose, and you have a great routine going, so you would probably be happier focusing on body recomposition (losing body fat) rather than actually losing pounds. It's something to consider.
  • mcflykdr
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, I've changed my goal to .5 lbs per week. That puts me at 2500 calories per day. This seems like it will be almost impossible, with gaining 1000 calories a day from exercise and the fitbit adjustments. Even if I half the exercise that still puts me at 3000 calories per day.
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Honestly, you have very little weight to lose, and you have a great routine going, so you would probably be happier focusing on body recomposition (losing body fat) rather than actually losing pounds. It's something to consider.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I think focusing on body fat % is a better idea. Although, I'm not sure what to do for this. I figured losing weight and exercising would accomplish this.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mcflykdr wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses, I've changed my goal to .5 lbs per week. That puts me at 2500 calories per day. This seems like it will be almost impossible, with gaining 1000 calories a day from exercise and the fitbit adjustments. Even if I half the exercise that still puts me at 3000 calories per day.
    SueInAz wrote: »

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I think focusing on body fat % is a better idea. Although, I'm not sure what to do for this. I figured losing weight and exercising would accomplish this.
    Weight lifting is actually a more important component than cardio for this. What you want to do is lose fat, not pounds. Strength training while eating at a slight deficit will allow you to maintain more of your current muscle mass so what you're losing is mostly fat. The pounds will come off more slowly but you'll still be shrinking. If you aren't yet, grab a tape measure and start tracking your body measurements, too.

You may want to do some reading on the subject or ask around in the forum groups specific to what you want to accomplish. If you have access to a personal trainer at the gym you might also schedule a session or two to get started.
  • mcflykdr
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated. I'm already googling.