Can shirts be resized ?

Options
I'm curious does anyone know whether shirts can be resized down a size especially speaking if the shirt is already loose anyways? I bought this shirt a while back and now it's on clearance. I absolutely LOVE this shirt and I worried about buying it originally and then trying to lose weight.

My husband suggested I buy it in a smaller size to wear later since it's on clearance. I hate wasting money though. Even though it's on clearance I hate to say what if I can't wear it even if I get it one size smaller?

Anyways I'm thinking I may still be able to wear it even if it's a bit big but is there a chance I could also just have it resized?

mr15qn2ll5q0.png
shot.PNG 197.5K

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    pretty much anything can be tailored, within reason. You just have to find a good tailor or seamstress. I have a few items I need to have taken in
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the short answer is yes - shirts can be resized

the long answer is - it can be complicated depending on the design of the shirt. Some designs will require more work to alter than others will.

^^^this shirt, probably wouldn't be too hard to alter, but I can't tell from the pictures where the lace is, and that will affect how difficult the task would be.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    the short answer is yes - shirts can be resized

the long answer is - it can be complicated depending on the design of the shirt. Some designs will require more work to alter than others will.

^^^this shirt, probably wouldn't be too hard to alter, but I can't tell from the pictures where the lace is, and that will affect how difficult the task would be.

Thanks the lace is on the edge but then there is decorative stitching (for lack of knowledge as to what to call it.). I may just buy it one size smaller JIC. That seems so silly to me.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    wait so you can buy it smaller?

okay so why dont you do that instead of alter it?

I've had things altered to be smaller that i already owned. depending on the complexity, it can be pricy, fyi....
  • RenaTX
    Options

I've had things altered to be smaller that i already owned. depending on the complexity, it can be pricy, fyi....

I've never had anything altered so thanks for that heads up. I didn't want to buy it smaller because I own it larger and it seemed to be a waste of money but now I think I will.

Heck it will be a goal to get into it at least.
  • brisloth
    brisloth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Technically anything can be resized, but as stated above, things can get complicated. That said, learning to do simple alterations to clothes is so incredibly worth it, especially when losing weight. I would suggest looking into getting a cheap sewing machine and trying your hand at basic alterations (practice on clothes from thrift stores first, and get a seam ripper). I'm planning to alter most of my clothes as I lose weight. New clothes are expensive, and I love my current wardrobe.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Judging from the photo, the cut and the embellishment, it looks like the top would be pretty difficult and pricey to alter. I would just buy the smaller size.
    I worked as a professional tailor for many years.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »

I've never had anything altered so thanks for that heads up. I didn't want to buy it smaller because I own it larger and it seemed to be a waste of money but now I think I will.

Heck it will be a goal to get into it at least.

i have a dress from old navy that i had to have altered - it cost more for the alterations than for the dress LOL

(and now i need to have it altered AGAIN - DONT TELL MY HUSBAND LOLOLOL)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    I'm curious does anyone know whether shirts can be resized down a size especially speaking if the shirt is already loose anyways? I bought this shirt a while back and now it's on clearance. I absolutely LOVE this shirt and I worried about buying it originally and then trying to lose weight.

My husband suggested I buy it in a smaller size to wear later since it's on clearance. I hate wasting money though. Even though it's on clearance I hate to say what if I can't wear it even if I get it one size smaller?

Anyways I'm thinking I may still be able to wear it even if it's a bit big but is there a chance I could also just have it resized?

Let me wash it for you