Wrong calories for imported recipes??

Options
Apud85
Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
Whenever I try to import a recipe into MFP, the calories are vastly different than what's provided on the recipe. Why is that?? The serving size and ingredients all match. I have a recipe for Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps that are 233 calories per serving, but MFP is saying they're over 400 calories a serving! There's no way.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Are you using a different brand of some ingredients than the recipe poster?
    Did you go through the list of ingredients MFP matched and make sure it selected the same brand and quantity?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I find if you import a recipe you still have to go through manually and check the ingredients for error, which there always is.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Yep, the import is wonky. Sometimes even after I edit each line item, it doesn't put the right calorie number in my tracker.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Yep, the import is wonky. Sometimes even after I edit each line item, it doesn't put the right calorie number in my tracker.

I've never had that happen, that would really annoy me!

I did make a quinoa dish once where it told me a serving was something like 47,000 calories. When I checked the ingredient list, it had used a can of "southern style" black beans (seasoned with pork, which down here means basically served in bacon grease) at like 370 something calories per serving instead of the regular Bush's black beans that are around 120.

It also mistook my 476g of quinoa as 476 packages of quinoa, which I'm pretty sure would fill a large kiddie pool.

Just double check that it's using the exact ingredients that you are, and that it's got the quantities right. If it does, and the calories still don't add up, you may need to do the math yourself.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    rockmama72 wrote: »

I've never had that happen, that would really annoy me!

I did make a quinoa dish once where it told me a serving was something like 47,000 calories. When I checked the ingredient list, it had used a can of "southern style" black beans (seasoned with pork, which down here means basically served in bacon grease) at like 370 something calories per serving instead of the regular Bush's black beans that are around 120.

It also mistook my 476g of quinoa as 476 packages of quinoa, which I'm pretty sure would fill a large kiddie pool.

Just double check that it's using the exact ingredients that you are, and that it's got the quantities right. If it does, and the calories still don't add up, you may need to do the math yourself.

Yes! At first glance I thought the taco lettuce wrap recipe ingredients were imported correctly, but then once I really took a look, I realized that MFP calculated the calories for 8 heads of lettuce instead of 8 leaves of lettuce. Bingo! I'll just have to take a better look when I import. Thanks all!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's tricky. I always have to adjust each ingredient. 1.5 chicken breasts will magically turn into 15, for example.