Alcohol Free Stag/Bachelors weekend?

Can it be done? I'm Irish so there's a big drinking culture here and even though most of the lads now have kids and we're not as wild as used to be, it's a chance to let the hair down away from the wives and girlfriends.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you want to not drink, don't drink...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

that. i mean, you're a grown man... your friends my tease you a little for not drinking a (cause thats what friends do) but im sure they dont CARE. if anything, you get to the be the DD LOLOLOL
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    You don't need a drink to have a good time - are you planning on not having any alcohol at all, or is it just something you're doing?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    tomnev1 wrote: »
    Can it be done? I'm Irish so there's a big drinking culture here and even though most of the lads now have kids and we're not as wild as used to be, it's a chance to let the hair down away from the wives and girlfriends.

Irish?
    Stag weekend ?
    ain't going to happen is it? No matter how much you plan it

Aim for moderation if you can - or choose not to drink at all - or drink and log it
  • Sued0nim
    I'm not sure people understand the pressure and social construct of the craic :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

that. i mean, you're a grown man... your friends my tease you a little for not drinking a (cause thats what friends do) but im sure they dont CARE. if anything, you get to the be the DD LOLOLOL

tease a little?! he'll be battered into submission within half an hour!
  • Sued0nim

tease a little?! he'll be battered into submission within half an hour!

truth :wink:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Drink and be merry! But.... enter at your own risk..
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    I'm going for a lads night away, but I know my diet will take a hit.
    My plan:
    Go away, Enjoy myself, drink what a I like.
    When i come back?
    Get straight back on and carry on.

I feel you need to enjoy yourself otherwise you will end up binging one day anyway.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    OK here's what happened. First night three pints, not too bad. Drank water before bed. Woke up no hangover. Second day, played football for a while, swam in hotel pool etc, but boozing started at 3pm. Six pints downed...drank a lot of water so not hangover but that was a lot of calories. Stopped drinking at about 10pm. The real killer was that food discipline went outthe window, so there were platters of fried food coming to our table in the bar later that evening. Out of the system now and no more boozing until the wedding in May. In short it was tough, but as I'll be avoiding bars for about eight weeks, it was just a temporary and not fatal slip.
  • tomnev1
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Irish?
    Stag weekend ?
    ain't going to happen is it? No matter how much you plan it

Aim for moderation if you can - or choose not to drink at all - or drink and log it

This was the best advice. Aim for an achievable goal.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    OK here's what happened. First night three pints, not too bad. Drank water before bed. Woke up no hangover. Second day, played football for a while, swam in hotel pool etc, but boozing started at 3pm. Six pints downed...drank a lot of water so not hangover but that was a lot of calories. Stopped drinking at about 10pm. The real killer was that food discipline went outthe window, so there were platters of fried food coming to our table in the bar later that evening. Out of the system now and no more boozing until the wedding in May. In short it was tough, but as I'll be avoiding bars for about eight weeks, it was just a temporary and not fatal slip.

But did you enjoy yourself?
  • tomnev1
    Yes it was good fun, but that was as much to do with the lads as with alcohol. It definiitnely would be possible if I were stronger willed. I don't think this is particulalry Irish, but I think in any social situation there is always some alcohol involved. I think if I had a religious reason or I were a recovering alcoholic, people would probably not pay that much attention. Or if I were new to the group and introduced myself as the guy who didn't drink, then that might be ok.
    Anyway, I've been quite diciplined since, had no booze since the weekend and have been in a pub twice since then, one for dinner and once for a charity pub quiz. For dinner I was was with my family so even though I'm normally have a glass of wine, I just had a cordial. For the charity pub quiz, I had ot drive about ten miles so I had the perfect excuse.
    Ireland like many countries has seen a huge change in drink driving culture - it's not tolerlated at all now. This definitely makes it easier to not drink.
  • Sued0nim
    Yes it was good fun, but that was as much to do with the lads as with alcohol. It definiitnely would be possible if I were stronger willed. I don't think this is particulalry Irish, but I think in any social situation there is always some alcohol involved. I think if I had a religious reason or I were a recovering alcoholic, people would probably not pay that much attention. Or if I were new to the group and introduced myself as the guy who didn't drink, then that might be ok.
    Anyway, I've been quite diciplined since, had no booze since the weekend and have been in a pub twice since then, one for dinner and once for a charity pub quiz. For dinner I was was with my family so even though I'm normally have a glass of wine, I just had a cordial. For the charity pub quiz, I had ot drive about ten miles so I had the perfect excuse.
    Ireland like many countries has seen a huge change in drink driving culture - it's not tolerlated at all now. This definitely makes it easier to not drink.

I'm married to a virtually non-drinking Irishman .. I'm afraid to say that yes the pressure is 'particularly Irish'

Not saying there aren't other nationalities / groups that share it .. but there's nothing like Irish hospitality and zest for living it up :)

Good job on your weekend though .. glad you had fun!
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member

I'm having a bit of an unconventional bachelor party next weekend, and it'll probably be largely alcohol-free.

Me and a few of my friends are massive geeks, so the party's going to be a "Lord of the Rings" movie marathon (all 3 fully extended editions, obviously!). It'll be in our local church hall with an awesomely huge surround sound system, and we'll be playing video games and eating pizza in between the movies.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol at all (purely a personal preference -- I'm quite fond of my liver). I won't prevent my friends bringing a beer or two if they fancy it though.
  • tomnev1

I'm having a bit of an unconventional bachelor party next weekend, and it'll probably be largely alcohol-free.

Me and a few of my friends are massive geeks, so the party's going to be a "Lord of the Rings" movie marathon (all 3 fully extended editions, obviously!). It'll be in our local church hall with an awesomely huge surround sound system, and we'll be playing video games and eating pizza in between the movies.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol at all (purely a personal preference -- I'm quite fond of my liver). I won't prevent my friends bringing a beer or two if they fancy it though.

Wow...that is unconventional. Hope it went ok.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Lolz.