High protein snacks which are low calorie?

Options

Replies

• gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt! Yum! 100 calories & 12g protein...

^^^ This. Just be sure to get something with low sugar.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a powdered version of peanut butter that is like 45 cals per serving (2 tablespoons). It is a one to one on the carb and protein grams and way less on the fat calories (as you can tell per serving). Adding that in for some snacking (maybe with veggies) is probably a good way to go.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    PB2 is a powdered version of peanut butter that is like 45 cals per serving (2 tablespoons). It is a one to one on the carb and protein grams and way less on the fat calories (as you can tell per serving). Adding that in for some snacking (maybe with veggies) is probably a good way to go.

I'd rather eat burnt coal than give up my precious peanut butter for PB2.

Sure, some people like it. If it floats your boat, then go for it. But you can have my (full fat) peanut butter when you pry it from my sticky peanuty hands. :)

(^ 5'1" woman here who's lost over 30 pounds while eating peanut butter almost every day.)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The absolute lowest calories for the amount of protein you get comes from Whey protien isolate powders. Body Fortress or Six Star make a Whey isolate that is between 130-140 calories and you get 30 grams of protein. Really cant beat this and these two are some of the lowest priced bang for your buck. Mix it with fat free milk, ice, berries, or cinnamon powder for a filling nutritious shake. The Body Fortress brand tastes better. The Six Star Whey Isolate has that chalky texture. Just an idea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my list.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

When I was sticking to 1200 a day, I'd try for 400 calories for breakfast, two 100 calorie snacks, and divide the rest over lunch and dinner. Lunch I could lower by having salad or soup.
  • FCFitness75
    FCFitness75 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    These suggestions have all been really helpful, thanks sooo much!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Premiere Protein makes an 11 oz shake that has 30g of protein for 160 calories.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, vanilla greek yogurt , chicken and shrimp. I love to saute shrimp in a little butter, yum.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I can't really eat almonds or nuts or even Snickers sadly because I get a weird allergic reaction to nuts where my lips get all lumpy (really attractive, obviously) and my gums and throat become itchy... same with a lot of fruit! But I can eat it in the butter form for some reason, so I might just have to do that. Thanks for the yoghurt and powder tip :) I'll get on the cottage cheese!

If you have this reaction to nuts and certain fruits, you should NOT eat those foods, regardless of the form. Allergic reactions get worse with repeated exposure. The fact that it causes you to have a reaction in your mouth/throat is not good. While it may be mild now, it can quickly progress to more serious symptoms (such as airway swelling). If you are unsure as to which specific foods that cause this reaction, as an allergist for testing. It might also be wise to ask for an epipen prescription since it sounds like it already causes swelling of your lips. Please don't take any chances with this.

Not trying to fear monger, but like I said allergic reactions get worse with repeated exposure. It is not worth it to take the chance.
  • FCFitness75
    edited April 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I can't really eat almonds or nuts or even Snickers sadly because I get a weird allergic reaction to nuts where my lips get all lumpy (really attractive, obviously) and my gums and throat become itchy... same with a lot of fruit! But I can eat it in the butter form for some reason, so I might just have to do that. Thanks for the yoghurt and powder tip :) I'll get on the cottage cheese!

If you have this reaction to nuts and certain fruits, you should NOT eat those foods, regardless of the form. Allergic reactions get worse with repeated exposure. The fact that it causes you to have a reaction in your mouth/throat is not good. While it may be mild now, it can quickly progress to more serious symptoms (such as airway swelling). If you are unsure as to which specific foods that cause this reaction, as an allergist for testing. It might also be wise to ask for an epipen prescription since it sounds like it already causes swelling of your lips. Please don't take any chances with this.

Not trying to fear monger, but like I said allergic reactions get worse with repeated exposure. It is not worth it to take the chance.
    elphie754 wrote: »

Thanks Elphie, I didn't realise allergic reactions got worse with repeated exposure. I have gone to the Drs who don't seem too worried about it and I actually think it's a case of oral allergy syndrome because the reactions change depending what time of year it is and how well I am at the time! The reactions are always resolved quickly with an antihistamine and have been this way since I was a child (I'm now 23) but I might go and ask for a follow up appointment just to be sure. I just had peanut butter and I was totally fine. My body is so weird!
  • FCFitness75
    Options
    Sorry that's in two quotes for some reason! My phone isn't being very co-operative
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I drink Muscle Milk 40 which is 220 calories for 40 grams of protein, and I also eat Greek yogurt (Dannon Oikos Triple Zero which is 110 calories for 15 grams...

This post made me go out and get some of that Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt! I was afraid to try it because I'm such a picky eater but when you said 110 calories AND 15 grams of protein?! I got excited!

The ones I just bought are 120 calories and 15 grams of protein and are really good!! Much thanks for opening my eyes to them! I'm going to make it more of a staple in my day to get an extra dose of protein!
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder. Not exactly a snack, more of a meal replacement or a supplement depending on which kind you get.

With some, you can get 20-25g of protein for just about 100cals per serving.
    The one I use, I get 216cals containing 34g protein, 8g carbs, 4g fat, 4g fiber, 2g sugar. Its a weightloss one so it half way towards a meal replacement shake, rather than just a supplement.

Being in the UK - myprotein do great products for their super cheap price (its where I buy my protein powders and other stuff). I'm in ireland and still get everything delivered by next day, which is impressive - or i'm just lucky Haha. Not the 'best' products in the market by the way. But they would be along premium quality, for the super cheap prices.

Otherwise you could just look in shops to see what kind of protein powders they have, if they interest you. Lots of nice flavours about too.
    Can also use them on oatmeal/porridge or other cooking things too. I was thinking about trying them in scrambled eggs! Haha
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Holland and Barrett sell Optimum Nutrition lean whey. 20g of protein per serving for 98 calories.
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and Quest bars are my life now. And they both taste GOOD.
  • Spyer116
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and Quest bars are my life now. And they both taste GOOD.

I've wanted to try Quest Bars for weeks since I heard abotu them, i've yet to hear anyone say something bad about them as well. But I can't get them here, and don't want to pay way over their instore price, online to buy a pack of like 20 of them or something Haha
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they are a little pricey. You can usually get 12 or so bars for between £20-£25 and free delivery on Amazon which I don't think is too bad considering what I was paying for extra meals between meals before! They don't look much but are filling.
  • Spyer116
    Options
    Haha, I'll have a look at them on amazon, thanks for the tip!
    And yeah, some 'between meals' are more expensive than actual meals ;D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Step 1 is setting a sensible protein goal - 1g per lb of lean body mass is a common recommendation.

Step 2 is trying to meet it (as a minimum) from your food. Trying to make sure you include protein rich foods as part of every meal helps to fit it in your low daily calorie allowance and it sounds like you are making some good choices. Don't forget dairy and seafood tends to be low calorie for the amount of protein as well as lean meats of course.

Step 3 is supplementing if you aren't hitting your goal. I'm in the UK too and use The Protein Works for their powders. Worth comparing different powders carefully as the calorie counts vary enormously. Often "diet" protein powders are sweetened with sucralose which I avoid as I can't stand the taste!
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there I'm in the Uk also and I would recommend optimum nutrition lean whey in vanilla flavour. You can get it in Holland and Barrett but usually cheaper on Amazon. I blitz it up in fo nutribullet or blender with unsweetened almond milk and half a frozen banana. Comes in around 160 Cala for the lot and tastes yummy,like are gulag thick shake! X