I just tried Almond/Coconut milk...

Options
Leana088
Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
I just tried coconut and almond milk (separately) in my coffee and tea.

BLEGH!

I'll stick to cow's milk.

I guess you can take the farmgirl out of the farm, but not the cow out of the farmgirl -- err, or something like that...

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Half & half or GTFO
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    yea, not good in coffee. but I've started preferring my oatmeal cooked in coconut milk. and weirdly, i like almond milk (unsweetened) on it's own.
  • Leana088
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Half & half or GTFO

Never been a fan of cream. Too creamy for my taste. Milk is just fine for me. :smile:
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yea, I love almond milk for oatmeal, smoothies or most of my cooking but it's a no go for me in coffee or tea.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you. I don't mind the vanilla almond milk as much, but I have a food sensitivity to almonds. Almond milk cramps my tummy.

I drank regular skim for years, but when I had my kids the doctors told me to give them whole milk from age 1-2. Holy Cow! I don't think I ever had whole milk before but it is super tasty. Now that the boys are a little older, I've switched everyone down to 2% but can't bring myself to go back to skim.

Coffee though, I do use the fat free half and half from Land O Lakes
  • girlperson666
    girlperson666 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep both cow milk and unsweetened almond milk on hand! almond milk is such tastier for drinking, Imo. smoother, lighter, and doesn't leave that weird film in you mouth. Also great in smoothies! but there are some places you just a Hoult try to substitute dairy milk. like in Mac n cheese. never put almond milk in your mac n cheese. :|
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Half & half or GTFO

^ This
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use non dairy milks in smoothies, baking, Chia pudding, sorbets etc... But in tea or coffee? Blah! Yuck. I also stick to normal milk in either of those.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Coffee needs cow's milk.
    However, I like almond milk for oatmeal, baking, puddings and drinking.
  • theconstantgardener
    theconstantgardener Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    almond milk in porridge. trust.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I really like it because I love the creaminess. I use it (and cashew milk/coconut milk/almond milk) in smoothies and oatmeal. If I drink milk of any type, it is standard cow milk (1 or 2 percent). I do not like either in coffee. If I have coffee, I just have one cup in the morning (typically pre-cardio) and use Bailey's creamers (stick to 2 tablespoons, no more). If I could, I'd have Caribou Coffee White Chocolate Mocha every day, but they are horrible in many ways, so I make my own version and shut up about it. ;) I love creamy stuff and sweet stuff. I could go forever without anything salty - just put out the sweet. LOL!
  • Leana088
    Options
    I use normal full cream dairy milk in everything. Just thought I'd give these two a try, because of lower calories.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've milked too many cows in my life to do dairy substitutes, haha. I like the taste of coconut milk as coconut milk but NOT as a "milk replacement"...it tastes too much like, well, coconut! So if I want that flavor it's cool and I like coconut recipes, but cow milk all the way. Almond and soy and rice I've tried at some point or another and they can just never do it for me.

I usually drink whole milk but if I'm trying to watch calories 2% is fine. Skim milk is too watery for me though.
  • Leana088
    Options
    I really like it because I love the creaminess. I use it (and cashew milk/coconut milk/almond milk) in smoothies and oatmeal. If I drink milk of any type, it is standard cow milk (1 or 2 percent). I do not like either in coffee. If I have coffee, I just have one cup in the morning (typically pre-cardio) and use Bailey's creamers (stick to 2 tablespoons, no more). If I could, I'd have Caribou Coffee White Chocolate Mocha every day, but they are horrible in many ways, so I make my own version and shut up about it. ;) I love creamy stuff and sweet stuff. I could go forever without anything salty - just put out the sweet. LOL!

I'm with you on the sweet. I'm now going to attempt to cut out all sweet tasting things, including fruit. I want to retrain my taste buds to be satisfied with less sweet things. When I re incorporate them, I'm hoping an apple will satisfy a sweet craving and a can of condensed milk will be too sickly sweet for me... (I drink that stuff straight out of the can...)
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk in my coffee (not Alpro... YUCK) but it took a while to get used to the taste, try making a latte with it.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

BLEGH!

I guess you can take the farmgirl out of the farm, but not the cow out of the farmgirl -- err, or something like that...

My husband grew up on a dairy farm. If it's available, he will pour cream on his bowl of cereal & milk.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Leana088 wrote: »

BLEGH!

My husband grew up on a dairy farm. If it's available, he will pour cream on his bowl of cereal & milk.
    Yay another dairy kid - but my ex-boyfriend, also a lifelong farmer, used to make his mom so mad as a kid when he'd pour the creamline on his cereal instead of shaking up the bottle first...she wouldn't have any cream to use later!
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk but not in tea or coffee, it tastes horrible. But for using on cereal/ oats and in baking it's great.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I actually use almond coconut blend in my coffee and cereal. I'm not picky though. Regular milk will do just fine.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I tried Almond milk in an iced coffee one time and never again. I don't mind coconut milk, but I rarely use any milk and when I do it's just skim (because that's what I have on hand). I'm not a big coffee drinker but when I get one on occasion I'd much rather just use skim milk or treat myself with a full fat milk/cream coffee with sugar.