Can someone PLEASE explain macros to me

Options
eclong
eclong Posts: 12 Member
...please? I'm doing this whole getting fit thing by myself without a trainer, and all the "fitties" I follow ALWAYS talk about marcos....and I have no idea what that even means, or if I should even be concerned about them. Any adicve is appreciated!

Replies

• melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ...please? I'm doing this whole getting fit thing by myself without a trainer, and all the "fitties" I follow ALWAYS talk about marcos....and I have no idea what that even means, or if I should even be concerned about them. Any adicve is appreciated!

Glad you asked, I don't really understand this either!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    protein
    carbohydrate
    fat
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I found this to be an excellent read. Really, all the 'stickied' topics in that group.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    it's what sidesteel said. the biggies you keep track of to make sure you have enough of. MFP automatically keeps track of them for you on your food diary but those can be changed and added to. so yeah, that's what they are and that's what people mean when keeping track of their macros.

for various reasons someone may want to make sure they get enough protein daily or limit their fat consumption and the others count their carbs or limit them sometimes. It all depends on the person and his or her current goals.

when you're starting out just focus on the calories and then eventually when you've been on here awhile you'll notice who chooses to monitor what and for what reasons.
  • eclong
    eclong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I found this to be an excellent read. Really, all the 'stickied' topics in that group.

^^^ This
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    it's what sidesteel said. the biggies you keep track of to make sure you have enough of. MFP automatically keeps track of them for you on your food diary but those can be changed and added to. so yeah, that's what they are and that's what people mean when keeping track of their macros.

for various reasons someone may want to make sure they get enough protein daily or limit their fat consumption and the others count their carbs or limit them sometimes. It all depends on the person and his or her current goals.

when you're starting out just focus on the calories and then eventually when you've been on here awhile you'll notice who chooses to monitor what and for what reasons.

Whew....okay, so it is not something extra. thank God for that, logging is enough daily. Have a nice week!.......:smile: