Staying on track while sick...

Options
I really don't want to put a wedge in my whole routine right now, even though I know the best thing for my body is rest. I'm at work and I just clocked out to see the Dr real quick and apparently I have a sinus infection and a double ear infection.

I feel miserable!

All I want to do is eat/drink warm hearty soup and take a nap. But at the same time I want to keep up with my logging/exercise.

Oh but I'm not contagious so I get to stay at work! Yay! :s

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm sick as a dog right now as well, but I'm contagious so I've been out of work since Wednesday. The best thing is to listen to your body and make sure you're hydrated. Eat when you can and drink lots of water.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Log the soup, take a nap. You're not going to get too far behind by taking a few days off from working out. If you get even sicker, you're going to have to take even more time off.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    On track when you are sick is to stay on your calorie goal (without exercise), and then head back in when your body says it can handle the exertion. Exercise only decreases and stresses your immune system even more than it already is which could extend your sick time.

Take it easy for a little bit, and rest up to keep going once you're better. The break is sometimes beneficial to your overall strength. Sometimes you can take huge leaps in strength just because your body had a chance to fully repair all muscles. Give it a shot.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body - sleep, rest, eat soup, drink plenty of fluids, repeat- you should feel good as new in a few days and can carry on... Otherwise, you could prolong your illness. Keeping up with logging food should prevent set-backs...
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ughggh! I'm so sorry! That sounds all kinds of sucktastic.

Unfortunately, the very best thing to do today is exactly what your instincts are--rest, fluids and more rest and more fluids. Log them, but try not to worry too much about it. I know it stinks to skip in routine now but the quicker you let your body heal, the quicker you can get back in step! It'll only take longer to recover if you exert yourself. Not to mention it'll feel pretty miserable!

If you absolutely have to get some exercise in today to put your mind at ease, I'd say take a little walk. Nothing too crazy.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I am at the tail-end of being sick for just over a week, also sinus infection. I knew exercise was just not happening, so what I did instead is ate what I could (I had a few maintenance days even, because I wanted to help my body along) and went for long walks if I was able to. Mind you, a part of that was that I can’t stand not moving for an entire day, it just feels strange.

At the end of it, I actually still lost weight, right on track. So, don’t worry about it too much. Take it easy and remember that you’ll get right back to things soon. A little break won’t be a problem.
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    .... But I want to eat more than I'm allowed! :'( LOL. Maybe once I can get out of work I can go home and take a nap, kids permitting. Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the other people out there battling the crud. It's no fun. I was really looking forward to maybe squeezing in some zumba today. Guess that's a major no-go.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    When you're sick, just take a break and let your body recover.

You might also find this infographic useful:

precision-nutrition-exercise-when-sick.jpg
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    When you're sick, just take a break and let your body recover.

You might also find this infographic useful:

Thank you! I'll definitely save this!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    That's a great infographic!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was sick last week with something similar sounding - I had no appetite and lost 5 lbs.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    agartin wrote: »
    .... But I want to eat more than I'm allowed! :'( LOL. Maybe once I can get out of work I can go home and take a nap, kids permitting. Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the other people out there battling the crud. It's no fun. I was really looking forward to maybe squeezing in some zumba today. Guess that's a major no-go.

I personally think it’s totally fine to eat at maintenance or even a surplus for a few days. For me, at least, it evened out: one day I wanted to eat the world, then I lost my appetite and barely ate half my calories. Think of it in weekly terms maybe, rather than daily. Going for long walks really helped me assuage my guilt for extra-hungry days.

Listen to your body, hydrate, and you’ll get back in the saddle in no time.

Also, that infographic is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    I was sick last week with something similar sounding - I had no appetite and lost 5 lbs.

Did it stay off?

I have had the flu. My symptoms started on Sunday afternoon. I've barely been eating, but have been doing my best to stay hydrated. There's no sign I'm getting better yet.

The scale's been very entertaining.

Making the bed is an exhausting endeavor. So is showering.

OP... I think that if you're feeling hungry, it would probably be best to just eat at maintenance for a few days. Just rest and keep yourself hydrated.

Hope you feel better soon!

Segacs, that infographic is great. Thanks!

• shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Two days after I started my workout plan I got sick. I wound up working out throughout the sickness, but it was just a bad cold. The more important thing to do is continue to eat sensibly and log your meals. Get back to your exercise after you feel better.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The good news? I think I've been getting sick less often since losing the weight. I had one bad cold early on in the process, but since then I've *knock wood* been weirdly healthy. I think that being more aware of eating nutritiously and exercising has been helpful in keeping me strong and resistant to bugs.