Low Potassium Levels??

Options
2»

Replies

• WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. The first time I tracked my food I noticed my potassium was low too. I went to my Nutrition Science professor for advice and she told me not to worry about it - but didn't really tell me why. Now that I'm tracking again it's still low, and I was beginning to worry I'd have to eat 10 lbs of spinach a day in order to get it where it needs to be. I'm glad to finally know why my numbers are so low!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I supplement with a pill. I would get horrible muscle cramps multiple times a day in multiple muscles. Since then, the cramps are gone.
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I have low potassium, as verified by two docs. It is most likely caused by one or more of my meds. So if you think you are low, especially if you are taking a diuretic or possibly another medication, get it checked by a doctor. I take a prescription pill in the morning and recently started adding a lower dose OTC supplement at dinner, as the last check showed I was borderline low. Adding the supplement finally helped increase my energy. Mine was caught early, before I developed the more noticeable symptoms. I am also trying to add more potassium in kjy too
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry, hit the wrong button at the wrong time. I am also adding more potassium to my diet. Avocados and pistachios are current favorites. And according to MFP, my potassium intake is still low. But I definitely have more energy!

• earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle some salt substitute to whatever you're eating or drinking. It's cheap and easy!

jilccgvk2ekf.jpg
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    Sprinkle some salt substitute to whatever you're eating or drinking. It's cheap and easy!

jilccgvk2ekf.jpg

Hmmm, thanks for that. Didn't know about it and will investigate. Thanks!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It IS possible to over-do it on potassium especially when using supplements (it's not easy to do with just food) so I'd suggest you talk to your doctor before supplementing.

And ditto potatoes and you are probably getting a lot more than you think due to lack of labeling.