Why raise calories 100 at a time when transitioning into maintenance?

Options
Just wondering why the general advice is to raise calories by 100 weekly when transitioning into maintenance? I understand that doing it gradually helps to prevent you putting on loads of glycogen water weight at once, but surely it levels out after a while anyway? Or is it so that it's easier to figure out your maintenance calories without accidentally going over? Surely you know what your rate of weight loss was (e.g. 1 lb/week) so add the corresponding number of calories (so 500 in that case) and then fine tune it?

It's obviously effective, just wondering if there were any other benefits over jumping straight to maintenance cals :)

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Every one is different. Some people do better adding a little at a time instead of just suddenly adding so many at once. It's a mental thing (for me, anyways).
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I thought it was because of what you said: so that it's easier to figure out your maintenance calories without accidentally going over.

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It helps prevent a quick load of glycogen by reintroducing carbs slowly onto the equation.

The gradual increase of glycogen helps provide a slower increase in what reflects on the scale without having a big change then waiting until it levels off before you adjust again.

After a prolonged caloric deficit you will see a certain amount of metabolic adaptation and since we work off estimates due to not being able to get all the numbers to the equation exactly correct jumping straight to what you think is maintenence can easily lead to you over shooting your metabolic drive. And also how would you know if you did see the quick introduction of calories will result in a big jump on the scale so you can't even determine how much of it is a result of something specific.

Ah okay, that's a good point. You wouldn't be able to tell for a while whether the weight increase was due to increased glycogen stores or actual weight gain, and so wouldn't correct for any fat gain until later. Thanks :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    MrM gave the best answer.

When I started upping my calories, I would do it by 200 at a time...and would go with that for about 2 weeks.
    To see how my body responded.....
    If I wasn't gaining like I wanted, then I would up by 200 again, and track for 2 weeks....

So it allows for better control and knowledge about how your body will respond.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on what setting you are using prior to hitting maintenance?

I am at 1.5# per week so that would be approximately 750 kcal deficit. If I bump it up 500 kcal at maintenance I would still be at an estimated 250 kcal deficit.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Doesn't it depend on what setting you are using prior to hitting maintenance?

I am at 1.5# per week so that would be approximately 750 kcal deficit. If I bump it up 500 kcal at maintenance I would still be at an estimated 250 kcal deficit.
    It's still guessing. You don't know for sure what the numbers are 100% at any time, any day, due to normal fluctuations. By having such a big jump in calories you are guessing what maintenance is and you are then guessing what the exact weight gain is attributed to. No matter what anyone out there tells you we never know to the exact calorie what every side of the equation is but what you should be doing is attempting to minimize the unknowns to a point where it can be somewhat analyzed in order to make adjustments that have logic to them and not just more wild guessing

You're right, it is guessing but that is exactly what MFP does. It guesses (estimates) kcal needs.

My point is that if someone hits maintenance at the .5# per week level bumping up 100 kcal would be a good idea. However, if someone is at the 1.5# per week level bumping 100 kcal would still leave them at a substantial estimated deficit when the goal is maintenance.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I assume most people are afraid of big change? Personally I cut my deficit from 500/day to 250/day when I got closer to my goal weight. Then just went to maintenance - essentially up another 250.