Condiments

Options
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Usually neither. If I have to choose I would go with Miracle Whip though. It just seems less gelatinous to me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Neither. I make my own cooked salad dressing (my great grandmother's recipe) that includes apple cider vinegar and mustard powder.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    http://theoatmeal.com/blog/miracle_whip :D

(but seriously: my experience is 100% the opposite of the oatmeal's. Miracle Whip or nothing, but it's nothing to do with calories or anything.)
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Given the choice, I would take a good mayonnaise. Miracle Whip just tastes weird to me. Too sweet, maybe? My personal preference is for mayonnaise and dijon mustard on my sandwich (usually one on the top, and one on the bottom).
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would say no to both (mostly because I think both taste gross) as they are high calorie and fat as far as condiments go. Go for something lighter, like mustard or plain greek yogurt.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Neither. UUGgh!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I would say no to both (mostly because I think both taste gross) as they are high calorie and fat as far as condiments go. Go for something lighter, like mustard or plain greek yogurt.

You dip your fries in plain greek yogurt?
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't love either but I always choose MW over mayonnaise if I'm having a BLT or macaroni salad .
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    miracle whip
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Neither. I don't like them. The only time I'll even touch mayo is on a Wendy's JBC.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yuck to both. Mustard is my thing. I have an aversion to any kind of white edible substance like sauces, condiments, etc. It goes back a long way.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mayo. Unless I forget to steal enough of the little packages from a gas station, and they only have miracle whip ones then I might if there is no mustard and ketchup.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    neither usually, about all I use either for would be tuna salad and as a binder for some salad dressings and either or works, I buy what's on sale. Honey mustard is definitely my fav on sandwiches and by far honey dill with fries or chicken fingers, I've been told its a local thing.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Mayo... but only because I've never tasted MW. And I buy the Mayo with lime juice in it. Tastes yummy.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Miracle whip is too tangy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    PiSquared wrote: »
    Given the choice, I would take a good mayonnaise. Miracle Whip just tastes weird to me. Too sweet, maybe? My personal preference is for mayonnaise and dijon mustard on my sandwich (usually one on the top, and one on the bottom).

Mmmm.....me too. I remember a product called Dijonaisse.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Mayo. Unless I forget to steal enough of the little packages from a gas station, and they only have miracle whip ones then I might if there is no mustard and ketchup.

Haha! I do that, too! Well, I keep condiments in the house, too, but I am not above grabbing a few ketchup packets or something as I walk by. My favorite gas station has Horseradish sauce packets sometimes and I like that with tuna, but not enough to buy a jar, so I usually take a couple.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I like Hellmann's Mayo. I really only use it when I make a tuna wrap though. I usually use a variety of mustard(s) that I have.

Miracle Whip is too sweet.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I prefer Duke's mayonnaise. I think it's only available in the south or maybe had a different name other places.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Miracle Whip and don't hate it, but I prefer mayo.