Athletic shoes ???????? $$$$$$$$$

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    My gripe isn't so much about the price (because I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job); my gripe is when I fall in love with a shoe and then the fit totally changes when the new version is released.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I get a certain shoe (Asics GT-1000) and pay whatever they are when I need them. It's usually around $100 but I look to see if there are any sales or coupons.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    My gripe isn't so much about the price (because I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job); my gripe is when I fall in love with a shoe and then the fit totally changes when the new version is released.

Completely and totally agree!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have really small feet, so I wear children's shoes. It means less variety, but I can also sometimes get a good pair for $50. If you're going to actually use them for running, then don't look at price as your determining factor. Find a pair/model you like and then look out for sales, coupons, or even search online to see if you can find them cheaper.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How much do you spend on athletic shoes? I used to draw the line at $65. I've been looking the past few days and now I can't find any under $80 that I even remotely like and the ones I really like are $120. How much is too much for you?

My Brooks running shoes generally run around $120 but I know the size I need and the particular shoe I like and I found a previous model year shoe on sale for $90.

My cycling shoes were $130 and my lifting shoes were $140.

In my experience nothing beats a good quality shoe that fits perfectly...I cheap out elsewhere, but not on my shoes.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony Kinvara's and they usually run me around $100. Most comfortable workout / running shoe I found after Puma discontinued the one I used a few years ago.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have a wide assortment of Saucony's that I paid between $50 and $100 for per pair (I search amazon, etc. for deals!)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lifting shoes I get for $50 (Chuck Taylors), running shoes were $140 I think, and my various cycling/mountain biking shoes range anywhere from $90-$250. Now fashion shoes...that's where it gets pricey...lol.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    I am willing to pay more for good gym shoes than I am for work shoes. My money always gets invested in my health first.

• jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at kohls cause they always have something on sale and you can pair it with a coupon. I got my nike fitsoles there for $34.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now after all of your posts, I'm feeling like its ok to spend a little more. :)
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Definitely ok! As someone who used to have knee/hip pain due to issues with running flat footed and was constantly getting shin splints while playing soccer I had to get a pair of insoles and buy a nice pair of runners for 100+ dollars or so. They made the world of difference, the joint pain I experienced went away within a week and those shoes have lasted me about 8 years and I'm only now starting to have to consider replacing them. I'd gladly spend double what I spent to avoid the knee pain I was having thanks to improper footwear.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now after all of your posts, I'm feeling like its ok to spend a little more. :)

Look at it this way: Good shoes are much cheaper than years of physiotherapy or medical treatment for the issues that can be caused by bad shoes.
  • tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have wide foot and do a lot of walking, jogging, and crossfit. I LOVE my Asics Keinse's. If you go to the Asics website they are $180, but I buy mine at the Asics Outlet store for around $120 - similar to Amazon prices. I'm in Houston, so we have a ton of places to buy shoes - pretty comparable at most stores.

I'd suggest getting fitted for shoes. You may spend more, but you'll get the best fit for your foot and for your needs. I prefer Luke's Locker to get fitted, but I'm not sure what cities they are in.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm buying for, what brand I'm buying, and where I buy them.

I have some Salomon trail shoes that I paid like $130 for.
    I have some Merrells that I lift in that I paid around $65 for.
    I got some Brooks trail shoes on clearance for $40.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I am also lucky enough to have outlets near me. I'm currently wear all New Balance but none of them were more then $60. I always see quality athletic shoes at Marshalls and TJ Maxx too. Add to that I have no problem wearing a men's style if the comfort and style is what I am looking for so I have more choices going that route also.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was injured a couple of years ago because I bought the wrong type of running shoes for my foot. The medical bills and physical therapy were so expensive that I will never do that again. $120 for running shoes is much cheaper. I did what another poster suggested and found last years model (new) of my favorite shoes online and paid $80 instead of $120. Well worth it.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I replace mine every year and they usually cost about $150-$160 (Saucony Hurricanes. I'm in Canada). But this year I got them on sale for $99, score!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    seeing as i dont really spend any significant money on any other shoes (im a flip flop girl lol), i dont feel *too bad* spending money on my running shoes.

i have a pair of adidas boston 4's that i LOVE LOVE LOVE and think i paid around $80 for them (on sale)
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sketchers Outlet. Got mine for $50. Some people are all anti-sketchers, though. Personally, the memory foam ones do wonders for my knees and they are affordable.