Vomiting and calorie adjustment

Options
2»

Replies

• kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you have the lapband, I would definitely suggest you watch to see what kind of foods you are not tolerating well and please see your doctor if you start vomiting more frequently. I've had WLS (Sleeve) and many of my friends got the lapband before I had my sleeve surgery. Almost all of them have had to have the band removed and their first sign was vomiting.
    Also, i agree with the other posters and not to remove the food especially if you aren't eating again after.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You could just eat your vomit.
    You'd still have to account for what soaked into the carpet or what you couldn't scoop up.
    Seriously guysgiphy.gif
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    probably best not to adjust for it. That could become reinforcing. At any rate, even with the vomiting you are retaining at least half the calories, typically speaking. See your doctor because lapband probably needs adjustment/revision.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Situation still unclear - should i eat back the calories i burn while vomiting or not?
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Are you getting "stuck"? Is that whats causing the vomitting? Or possibly not taking the proper amount of time to eat, 30 minutes? Drinking water too soon after a meal? Or eating too much period in one meal? All of it has an effect on it in some way. Write down what is making you have the Vomitting episodes so you remember the next time you eat it that it botherd. That way you can cut it up smaller, chew it more thoroughly or just avoid it if its not a favorite food.
  • cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ihad wrote: »
    In that

- You are being treated by a doctor for the condition that is causing the vomiting,

- You say you are not bulimic, and

- You want to be very accurate with your logging

I think what you're doing is OK. It reflects that you probably got some portion of the nutrition, but not all. With the frequency you cite, the level of error in trying to be more accurate than that does not seem material.

I hope the doctr can help you address this. It sounds very unpleasant.
    Thanks for this feedback. After wt loss surgery there is such a fine line of enough but not too much...I am just trying to get it right so I can lose the last lbs!
  • cnoonannurse
    Options
    Are you getting "stuck"? Is that whats causing the vomitting? Or possibly not taking the proper amount of time to eat, 30 minutes? Drinking water too soon after a meal? Or eating too much period in one meal? All of it has an effect on it in some way. Write down what is making you have the Vomitting episodes so you remember the next time you eat it that it botherd. That way you can cut it up smaller, chew it more thoroughly or just avoid it if its not a favorite food.

I think that I am drinking SO much water some days that it may make a difference. Today I had LOTS to f water in the AM, and lunch just didn't work...
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, how about a smoothie for lunch? Some fresh fruit and then soem frozen berries and OMG they are so good and you can sip them slowly. Something to try on a day when you have had a lot of water. Are you eating when hungry or eating by a schedule?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. I can't believe this is a thread.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I was in a situation where I had gastric paresis and my doctor wanted super accurate cal logs even after I left the hospital, her rule was subtract half if it was all liquid (7UP, broth), and 1/3 is it was solid (crackers, white bread). As long as it's not extreme (30-40 times a day was my issue...) I wouldn't worry.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I... after you vomit, do you eat something else? Or do you feel sick and not up to eating until the next meal?

Because I think if I lost my breakfast, I'd just leave it logged and not try to calculate how much of my stomach contents came back.

Honestly, I agree with segacs that you need to talk to your doctor about this and find out if everything is OK. And I'm a *little* bit worried about your desire to un-log regurgitated food. That sounds like it's heading toward disordered eating territory.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I vomited the last thing I'd be worried about is how many calories I barfed up.

Echoing. Please be mindful of how disfunctional that line of thinking is.
  • sonsha60
    sonsha60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    See your doctor!
  • cnoonannurse
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

For the record, I have seen and continue to see my doctor. I was only looking for people who have also had lap band to see what their doctor told them. I wish I could delete this damn thread, because up until today, MFP has been nothing but helpful and supportive...maybe next time I will title my thread differently so all the nasties won't comment on something they don't understand.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

For the record, I have seen and continue to see my doctor. I was only looking for people who have also had lap band to see what their doctor told them. I wish I could delete this damn thread, because up until today, MFP has been nothing but helpful and supportive...maybe next time I will title my thread differently so all the nasties won't comment on something they don't understand.

I understand you don't ask the internets for help with medical problems. I hope you now understand that as well.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So bulimia harms the body... what did you think gastric bypass surgery would do to your body? It is a life threatening surgery, and many people who have had it have many ongoing health problems because of it. But I haven't had the surgery; just cured BED by changing the food I eat.

I hope you can figure out how to eat that works for you. It's going to be hard to eat enough to be fully nourished. I hope that you are picking nutrient dense food and avoiding most processed stuff.