Advice/Help Needed re: Weight training

Options
So I was hoping I could get some guidance from the experts on here....
First, here are my stats - female, 37 years old, 5'2, 114 pounds.
I have lost a lot of weight over the past year primarily counting calories, eating 6 balanced meals and doing mostly body weight workouts (think HIIT, Burpees, push ups, in a boot camp-style, intense workout program)
I would really like to start a weight lifting regimen.
I currently eat around 1,300-1,600 calories in maintenance depending on if I workout that day.
If I start weightlifting, do I have to start eating more calories in order to build muscle or will I still build muscle eating at my current caloric intake?
I'm not super sensitive about the number on my scale so I'm fine putting on pounds if it's from muscle growth and I can still fit into my pants - but how many pounds would I likely gain while starting a weight lifting regimen?
Also, I've been doing some strength training workouts on Fitness Blender but would I need something more intense for muscle growth? Like Stronglifts and BodyBeast that I hear about?
Thanks!

Replies

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you want gains, you need to skip the fancy stuff and work your way up to compound movements with barbells (deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, military press, etc.). Start easy and light and work up to heavy weight you can only lift 4-8 reps per set. Progressively add weight and reps over time. Work hard. I know more about men's nutrition than women's so I cannot comment on your overall caloric intake, but you will certainly need more protein if you start pumping iron. You will literally need it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ll give this a shot...

Your calories in will depend on energy expenditure, so if you’re doing strength training, but also doing intense cardio, you’ll have to find a maintenance/surplus level. At that point, you’ll need to ensure you have enough protein to build muscle and enough carbs to fuel heavy lifting. Experiment with this until you find that point.

Most women are capable of gaining about 10 lbs of muscle per year up until age 35, after that, it does slow down. But think about what even 8 lbs of muscle would mean for you.

You’re a beginner, do a basic compound movement program, which fits strong lifts. Go heavy, good form, push.

Patience, persistence, and progression.

• mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the input
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I’ll give this a shot...

Your calories in will depend on energy expenditure, so if you’re doing strength training, but also doing intense cardio, you’ll have to find a maintenance/surplus level. At that point, you’ll need to ensure you have enough protein to build muscle and enough carbs to fuel heavy lifting. Experiment with this until you find that point.

Most women are capable of gaining about 10 lbs of muscle per year up until age 35, after that, it does slow down. But think about what even 8 lbs of muscle would mean for you.

You’re a beginner, do a basic compound movement program, which fits strong lifts. Go heavy, good form, push.

Patience, persistence, and progression.

This^^^
    And I'm a 40+ year old women, doing the same. Good luck to you! :)
    Oh & I'm on month 4 of strong lifts, LOVE it!