Help With Cooking Frozen Fish

Options
Indigoblu1
Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
Hello, I would really appreciate help with cooking frozen flounder. I've tried baking it and it turns to mush. What can I do with it so that it has some kind of "body" and doesn't become oatmeal? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• RyanDuranG
    RyanDuranG Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Put it in the refrigerator beforehand to thaw?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Thaw it, cook it in butter in a skillet.
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thaw first, then cook it in butter, honey and Old Bay in a skillet.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Fix your side dishes and salad before you start cooking your fish. Then I pop the frozen fillet (on a plate) in the microwave for 20 seconds, flip it over and microwave 20 seconds again. Heat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil or whatever oil you like to use. Sprinkle the fish with dill, lemon and a very small amount of red pepper(this is the hot stuff). Add the fish to the hot skillet. Cook for 2 minutes then flip over. Turn the heat down to medium and cover for 3 minutes. You may need to flip it over again. By now, there should be a light brown crispyness to the outer layer of the fish, this is a sear. The fish is done when it flakes easily and is no longer translucent.
    Other seasonings that work for fish: curry, season salt, and paprika Red wine vinegar, slivered onions and mushrooms Cumin, chili powder and green chili sauce Lemon, salt, pepper and capers
  • smgis45
    smgis45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll be making a fish dinner tomorrow!
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it very much. I will be making this tonight. Going to try the skillet method first thing.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah thaw it. Skillet Cajun seasoning and a little butter. Pan sear on medium heat until it turns opaque and the edges start to brown.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Hey, you guys! Thank you so much for your expertise! The pan fried flounder is excellent. Really so good. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Oftentimes fish like flounder that have been frozen turn to mush not because of how you cook it but because of how it was handled between the time it was caught and the time it got to you. At some point along the way, it may not have thawed somewhat and refrozen. All those forming and reforming ice crystals cut the internal structure to shreds and, when finally cooked, the fish is mush. I find thin flounder fillets are particularly prone to this. So, blame the fish, not your cooking.
  • Indigoblu1
    Options
    Oftentimes fish like flounder that have been frozen turn to mush not because of how you cook it but because of how it was handled between the time it was caught and the time it got to you. At some point along the way, it may not have thawed somewhat and refrozen. All those forming and reforming ice crystals cut the internal structure to shreds and, when finally cooked, the fish is mush. I find thin flounder fillets are particularly prone to this. So, blame the fish, not your cooking.

Oh, Heidi, thank you so much for that! I am a relatively good cook-an intuitive, not educated cook-so I am very encouraged by what you posted to me.