Dieting/exercising and Insomnia?

Options
I find that whenever I start a healthier diet/exercise plan that I often have trouble falling asleep and when I do it's not restful and is usually only a few hours (more like a nap).

I've become immune to sleeping pills, melatonin pills and wine. I also notice I'm very hot/sweaty at night...

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions or tips that worked for you?

Replies

• yvetty79
    yvetty79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been having a horribly restless sleep also. I can't seem to sleep very long. Makes trying to have ambition to excessive null and void
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find this happening if I am not eating enough calories, or don't eat a large enough dinner. Also, if I'm planning a really intense workout, I try to get it in before 4 pm or I have problems. Do you ever wake up with a fast heartbeat or feeling hot in the night? I had this problem last year where I would wake up at 2 am wide awake and have a horrible time getting back to sleep. My blood work had very high cortisol, basically, I was overtraining and stressing out my body.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat? If you starve yourself, you won't get a restful sleep... Or you are exercising too close to bedtime - it keeps me awake if I do that....
  • juliaruliasNY
    juliaruliasNY Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I don't think it's my meal plan since I eat usually above above my maintenance requirements. I actually have tried eating larger meals for dinner to kind of induce a mild 'food coma', but that doesn't work either.

I just always feel hot/sweaty the entire day and rest of the week whenever I start working out even if it's earlier in the day. I'm wondering if working out is actually detrimental to my sleep cycle?
  • juliaruliasNY
    Options
    I find this happening if I am not eating enough calories, or don't eat a large enough dinner. Also, if I'm planning a really intense workout, I try to get it in before 4 pm or I have problems. Do you ever wake up with a fast heartbeat or feeling hot in the night? I had this problem last year where I would wake up at 2 am wide awake and have a horrible time getting back to sleep. My blood work had very high cortisol, basically, I was overtraining and stressing out my body.

Hiya - I haven't woken up to fast heartbeats or night sweats, but have just been too hot/sweaty when I workout to fall asleep. I average four hours a night. I have the AC on full blast as well. I think maybe I may need to limit my workouts until my body starts being 'cooler'?

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you don't have some medical issue, working out would not be detrimental to your sleep cycle if you don't do it too close to bedtime....
    Not sure why you would still be sweaty and hot hours or days after a workout......A cool shower maybe?
  • tashiros
    tashiros Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I definitely have insomnia it has been difficult to get enough sleep in order to excercise in the morning which I prefer so I switched to walking at lunch time
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble sleeping after doing aerobics at night. I found that I have to do my major exercises earlier in the day, personally. Also, I think that maybe the body and mind can get amped up from healthy changes. Hopefully it'll mellow out after the changes sink in.
  • juliaruliasNY
    Options
    AlysBass wrote: »
    I was having trouble sleeping after doing aerobics at night. I found that I have to do my major exercises earlier in the day, personally. Also, I think that maybe the body and mind can get amped up from healthy changes. Hopefully it'll mellow out after the changes sink in.

Agree - I think that sounds like the case because I did only recently start working out so that makes sense. Hope overtime I get acclimated to the new routines and am also taking magnesium supplements that someone had mentioned might help. Thanks!

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking magnesium? If you're limiting calories and stressing your body with exercise you may find you're deficient. It helps with sleep and recovery amongst other things...
  • juliaruliasNY
    Options
    Have you tried taking magnesium? If you're limiting calories and stressing your body with exercise you may find you're deficient. It helps with sleep and recovery amongst other things...

Just started taking this today. Thanks for the tip and pray it helps ... Fingers crossed