Supplements

Do you take supplements?
Multivitamins, fish oil, proteins, pre workouts, post workouts etc.

If so do you feel you benefit from using them or are they just a marketing scam?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Multivitamin, fish oil, protein and that's it.

Most other stuff isn't required if your nutrition and rest is right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    I take a supplement called Juice Plus. Yes....I benefit from it. =)
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    I do take supplements, and they seem to help me.

I am 45, and I do have some health issues.....I have hypoparathyroidism, so my body doesn't use calcium correctly. In my case, I need lots of extra calcium. I take calcium citrate to help. I also take vitamin d, my doc told me I was deficient. Within 30 days of getting my vitamin d levels up I noticed that the depression that had been strugglingg with had simply disapated. Doc also told me I was iron deficient....so I take that too. Since I am in weight loss mode, I now take a multivitamin as well.
  • Zebusz
    Zebusz Posts: 37 Member
    My doctor tells me to take the following:
    Vitamin D3 - 2000 IU/2x a day (Vitamin D deficiency)
    65 mg Iron Supplement/2x daily (Iron-deficiency anemia)
    MultiVitamin

Usually take it in the morning after breakfast and in the evening. I'll have to wait until the next blood test to get rid of the D3 and iron supplement. I also take Fish oil.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    I take CoQ10 and a joint support supplement (I'm old!)-- Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM along with B-Complex. If you're eating well, you should be getting your vitamins and trace nutrients from your diet.

You may find this recent article that discourages vitamin supplements here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Protein, omegas,multi (only bc my food variety isn't the best) joint supp, vita c and d