Diet and Workout during Periods?

Options
Hello,

My periods were regular and heavy before I started working out in May, but got delayed since then. Finally got it today after 60 days, but with very very light flow.

Do I need to worry about it or its usual when we start working out and due to change in diet? Should I talk to my doctor?

Also, is it okay to do light workout may be 30 mins slow walk during periods? Till now I used to rest a lot during periods. Also, I am planning to continue the diet during these 3-4 days.

Please suggest.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd call it "usual" but it's definitely not uncommon for a woman's cycle to change or be delayed in some fashion after starting a new eating/workout routine. If you are worried, please do consult your doctor but personally I'd see what happens next time before I went in. Personally.

And it's perfectly OK to continue working out as much as you always do, if you can stand it. I mean if you're having cramps that make you pass out on the first two days or something, obviously it's wiser to rest but barring "can't move/leave the house" type symptoms I wouldn't use your period as a reason to "have to" rest. If your symptoms are mild there's no real reason to take it easy at all.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I exercise with a more relaxed attitude and eat with a more relaxed attitude during my last days of PMS / First days of period. I have noticed, right on that cusp, that I sometimes barely sweat. This can make the work outs brutal! So I take it easy, keep ice water handy and do my best to stay cool. I've also read that, depending on the woman, some of us may burn like 300 more calories a day during PMS! So I just try to remember not to gut any bags of potato chips, and so far it's working out alright ; )

I had been working out consistently again and having regular periods for a while until last month, when it inexplicably was very, very late. More days went by than it took me to realize in 2009 that I was pregnant, so I took a test and got a negative and just kept waiting. Finally it showed up. Working out can definitely affect your hormones and change your ovulation. You won't get your period until about 14 days after you ovulate, so if that happens later than usual your period will follow suit.

If you're worried, definitely call your doc! Instead of just making an appointment try letting the receptionist know you have a few questions you would like to be advised on and hopefully your doctor will call you and give you some things to keep your eyes out for so you'll know if/when to go in for a look.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Your period should return to normal - in my experience it is always impacted by change - more intense exercise, change in diet, hormonal. All of it. However. Sigh. It returns to normal.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. It's probably not bad to mention to your Dr. when you go in, but it's also probably not something worth making a special appt. about.

As for working out, I ALWAYS used to curl up in a ball and wait for it to be over, this last time was the first time I tried running. It actually REALLY does make you feel better. I mean, do what you can, and if things start feeling wrong, then stop, but I was really surprised at how good I felt after running.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Its not a big deal unless it goes away completely for about 6 months (according to my doctor).
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I noticed when we ran in high school that I actually felt better when I did more activity during my period. I was fortunate to never have severe cramps, but I definitely noticed feeling better during and after exercise.