Beginner Macro counting

Options
does MFP set up your macro goals for your weight loss? I'm trying to determine my macros for weight loss but I'm not sure if I should follow MFP numbers. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does, however people like to calculate their own macros rather than going by what MFP has as its default. That being said, the over-riding for weight loss driver is setting a deficit - why MFP does (estimated deficit) when you answer the how much weight do you want to lose question. Default is 1lb a week.

• DanielleBeserra
    DanielleBeserra Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So is going by MFP set macros good enough for weight loss?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Go by what MFP says at first. It's as good a percentage breakdown as any.

After you track and log for a couple of months, you may start to notice patterns in your own eating, and you may want to adjust the macros based on your own needs and experience. Ditto if you're weight training or doing a specific exercise program.

But honestly? Macros don't matter all that much to most people. If you're getting a reasonably balanced diet, the main thing you should focus on is your total calorie intake, at least at first.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So is going by MFP set macros good enough for weight loss?

As I mentioned - the deficit is what creates the weight loss - i.e. setting your goal to lose say 1lb a week, MFP will do the calculation to estimate your calorie target needed to do that (assuming no exercise as it adds that when you log it).

Macros are important for body comp, health, energy etc, but its the caloric intake that allows the weight loss.