Fitbit. Cost vs Effect

Options
13»

Replies

• fishybaldrick
    fishybaldrick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a charge HR and spent ages comparing and reading review on the internet before taking the plunge, I was considering the Jawbone Up3 but went with the Fitbit charge HR as it was available now, and I preferred the user face of the app. I've found the tracking to be accurate (comparing the heartbeat reading with that on the machines at the gym it is always within 5) I can't recommend the Fitbit enough for use of a motivational tool
  • nikinuu
    nikinuu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit charge hr and I love it! This brilliant little device has given me the motivation to get more active, every day I'm trying to improve on my calorie burning and daily steps it makes me walk more :) and I find it really helpful when doing cardio as the machines at my gym are far from accurate
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    For me, it motivates me to move more during the day. I don't count my everyday steps as exercise but I do turn on the activity tracking if I'm going jogging or bike riding or any planned exercise of that nature. I also wear it on my shoe and not on my wrist. I have used it and eating properly to lose 47 pounds and counting. its just like myfitnesspal to me, you get what you put into. this site is useless unless you take the time to log in and use it. same for ANY fitness device and workout. my recommendation, buy one off ebay or amazon.com. or don't, choice is yours. I know I personally love my fitbit, the fitbit community and challenges are awesome and love how my steps sync on here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone up24, love it! VERY worth the cost. I love how it bugs on me if I sit too long and the sleep tracking.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    All i want to know is how many steps, kms and calories i burn everyday. I don't need a sleep monitor because i already know my sleep is crap, i don't need a stair counter as i don't walk up or down any steps, I dont like the thought of having to wear a bracelet all the time and i don't need a heart rate monitor because the only exercise i do is walking.

Based on all of the above, is why i chose the Zip. It fits my needs perfectly :smile:

another reason why I love fitbit. so many options, there not just a one device fits all thing here. there is the zip, the fitbit flex, the fitbit charge, the fitbit surge and so on. so many options. im getting my mom the fitbit charge for mothers day.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit charge hr and the fitbit Aria scale. The pair cost right around $300 & it was worth every penny. I do need the HR monitor as my heart is a little wonky.

Getting my fitbit was a life changing decision. I was a little hesitant because of the price but my husband said " It might just save your life " & I got it.

My doctor told me once that most of his patients die of denial. My fitbit makes me face reality. I know what I weigh. I know how active I have been and I will not go to bed until all my bars turn green. It is very motivating.

It was worth it to me. I'm down 33 pounds since February 19th. I wear it constantly and I have found it to be accurate.
  • jasmine_sheppard
    jasmine_sheppard Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit charge hr. My sister in law and brother in law have them too. It helps us make sure we are meeting our goals (mine is to lose weight, SIL to maintain, and BIL is to gain).. We hold oursves accountae with them. I find the hr monitor accurate
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,912 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP: based on your profile and assuming you want to do some walking (maybe get out a few stops before your destinations) any of the trackers that **fit your budget** will do fine.

From the cheapest Jawbone to the fanciest Fitbit. At the end of the day they ARE just fancy pedometers.

Having said that, I have personally used the Vivofit, Mio Fuse, Surge, and Charge. I kept the Charge and when I want more accurate HRM I use a Scorsche Rhythm+.

I did not keep the Charge because it was inherently more accurate than anything else. I did keep it because the overall Fitbit package including wrist based HRM, website, integration and friends features (especially as it connects me to real life friends) made sense to me.

So yes, the Zip is not as nice as the One, and the Charge is not as nice as the Surge; but, if money is tight the Zip will do fine to help you figure out your general level of activity and to encourage you to move around more.

For the people looking for "accuracy", you won't find it here, unless you only engage in steady state aerobic activities, and even then it will just be a good estimate.

What you will find is just a slightly better estimate of your general activity level than your own guesses.

And if, like a couple of the posters in this thread, you get to the point of including thousands upon thousand of steps in your day, well, that translates not only into better cardiovascular health; but, also into a lot of delicious calories :wink:

(Yes, I do believe that calories from walking count just as much as calories from any other exercise--and to date this continues to be true. My Fitbit adjustment used to be accurate at 100% eat back. As of March 2015 it seems to require some dialing down. Still trying to figure out if the new eat back amount is 95%, or maybe, gasp, as low as 90%!)
  • lass2corrupt
    lass2corrupt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge and I love it! My main use for it is motivation but do eat some of the calories I use due to my job which is more physical. I'm always striving to walk more and more and it helps me track my steps.