Combating depression and weight gain

Options
Feistychick68
Feistychick68 Posts: 301 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am sure I am not alone in the fact that I have suffered episodes of depression which doesn't bold well for my eating habits. I suffered pts after caring for my mom and her bf that were dieing of cancer. It was a horror show I won't go into but after that my pts turned to depression. I have added to that with unhealthy relationships that spiral me into further depression and more weight gain and then that of course spirals low self esteem and depression. I am pretty good at fighting through my depression. I am not ashamed I suffer from this illness but it does add an extra challenge to a healthy lifestyle for me. I am throwing this out there in case there are ppl with the same issue that would like support. Feel free to add me as Ik the battle and could offer support that ppl who haven't suffered won't get. Gl and take care of you!

Replies

• Feistychick68
    Options
    Ugg stupid phone my mom and her bf ** no clue how to edit my post
  • MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Feistychick68,
    First of all that is an amazing username! I too have experienced the terrible cycle that is depression and binge/unhealthy/emotional eating. I started making any excuse I could to avoid leaving the house (because i wanted to stay in bed) but also didn't want people to see how much weight I had put on.

You can do this though! And so can I! We've already made huge progress, by acknowledging we are depressed and have gained weight; knowing that we need to and want to change and by asking for help.
    You are not alone.
    You can do this.
  • alejandra_213
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've been battling depression and weight gain. I broke up with my boyfriend due to some issues and I feel so lost. We need to try to motivate each other to achieve our health goals. Depression is hard to manage alone. Hopefully we can overcome the challenges of weight gaining that come with it!
  • Ikickedcancersbutt13
    Ikickedcancersbutt13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dear Fiestychick68,
    I am a cancer survivor myself and have gone through cycles of depression and survivors guilt. After losing my thyroid and having to undergo a hysterectomy due to cancer it became harder to lose weight. Exercise was impossible because I was too weak and tired from being a mom to three young daughters and fulling my housework. I finally decided that I am worth fighting for. If I lived through cancer I really deserve to LIVE not just push through life trying to survive. I would love to help motivate others with my story and gain motivation to take forward to my new journey to become the "ME" I was always meant to be.
  • Feistychick68
    Options
    Dear Fiestychick68,
    I am a cancer survivor myself and have gone through cycles of depression and survivors guilt. After losing my thyroid and having to undergo a hysterectomy due to cancer it became harder to lose weight. Exercise was impossible because I was too weak and tired from being a mom to three young daughters and fulling my housework. I finally decided that I am worth fighting for. If I lived through cancer I really deserve to LIVE not just push through life trying to survive. I would love to help motivate others with my story and gain motivation to take forward to my new journey to become the "ME" I was always meant to be.

• Feistychick68
    Options
    I have nothing but respect for you. Losing my dad to cancer when I was 20 then later my mom and her bf Ik how hard the disease is. The fact you won and have ur chin up is inspirational. Yes u beat cancer so ur a winner in my books. You have obvious additional challenges due to your health. Focus on being healthy and do the best you can. Success is not in being the best but in doing your best. Each of us is unique with different metabolism and physical challenges so as long as we do the best individually we win!!
  • beenbad43
    beenbad43 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have battled with depression as well, now I have found when I am on meds, my weight balloons.. I have tapered off the meds and am losing some weight, but man... it sucks
  • Feistychick68
    Options
    It does add to the challenge for sure. I am not on medication but Ik a lot of depression meds lead to weight gain. I was on meds at one point but mine actually helped me lose lol. I look at this as some ppl have extra challenges that others may not. Some ppl lose weight easier due to genetics whatever. Just as long as we each do our best that is what matters. Success is not in being the best but in doing your best. I love that statement caz it is so true.
  • arich846
    arich846 Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel like I don't even have a right to post - but you all seem like wonderful people. I am 21 and a college student. I've been dealing with depression since I was a pre-teen mainly because of abusive parents (emotional and physical). I will be 22 in June, and I want so desperately to be a better version of myself.. I'm tired of living in the past.. I just want to live life to its fullest! I can tell that I am slowly coming out of the depression, though I know it will always be a struggle I am learning how to fight it. In result of the depression I have gained weight during the school year - it's a beautiful day outside 80 degrees and I've decided that today is it! I need help though with the motivation part.. which I lack severely when it comes to food. I'm going grocery shopping this evening.. made a healthy list of foods. I know it's going to be a struggle... because of the depression I have too been making excuses to go outside other than to my classes.. I usually get cafeteria food or order from Domino's pizza. Any advice on healthy habits would be appreciated - like I said.. today is my first day! BUT my first day of many!!!
  • Feistychick68
    Options
    Arich I know abusive parents well. Grew up with alcoholism in the home where I would suffer things I shouldn't have. It set me up to allow wrong ppl into my life and at 46 I'm trying to get my *kitten* together. This is ur life and if I can give you advice live it ur way. Ur young and if I realiZed earlier in life that I am in control of my own happiness not wat my parents did or wat a bf thinks or wat he says I would be in a better place. Life is short and before you know it you will be my age. Don't let depression your weight or anyone guide your ship. As far as ur grocery store trip I understand food as ur friend. But make it a good friend. Take care and keep ur chin up