exactly what did you eat?

Options
I came on the success story board hoping to learn exactly how people lost weight. I mean, did you just eat whatever you wanted but less of it, or did you cut carbs way down. I don't see anybody's exact diet on here. Is there another thread about it? I still kinda new to MFP. This issue has been the only thing that confuses me. Whether or not eating less carbs helps to burn more fat. I've seen so much conflicting evidence, and just wanted to know from people who have actually lost weight and what they did. Thanks guys.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I cut calories to around my BMR - a little bit here, a little bit there, a lot from overeating, the rest from candy, chips, cookies etc - it added up. Instead I started eating more fruit and vegetables, and reintroduced meals, getting more structure and regularity into my eating.

Not everybody's diary is open. Mine is, but it's in encrypted in Norwegian o:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy. You require XXXX amount of energy to exist plus do your daily stuff and exercise, etc. When you consume more energy than is required to do this things, that energy is stored for later use as body fat. When you consume less energy than is required to do all of these things, you burn body fat (stored energy) to make up the difference.

Think of it like money. If you make 1000 per week but your bills are 1500 per month, you are in a deficit...and you would have to dip into your savings to make up the difference.

Carbs don't make you fat...fat doesn't make you fat...protein isn't a miracle weigh loss cure. It's all about calories in and out.

I eat a highly nutritious diet...I eat 6ish servings of vegetables per day and a serving of fruit or two...I eat primarily whole grains...I eat a lot of chicken and fish and lean cuts of beef and pork...I get most of my fats from things like avocados, nuts, cooking with olive and avocado oil, etc....but I also eat pizza and I eat desert almost every night and I enjoy craft beer, etc.

Try to look at your diet as a whole rather than drowning in the minutia of individual food items.

I lost 40 Lbs awhile back and I've maintained now for two years.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I choose to eat lower carb because it keeps my appetite in check and I have a problem with portions when eating carb heavy things. I don't find that it has sped up my loss. It's a tool to keep me on track...and I love what I eat!

I use intermittent fasting to help keep within my calorie deficit. It also coincides with my natural hunger as I've never been much of a breakfast person. Just another tool, not a magic bullet.

Stick to your deficit. That's the key. Choose foods/schedules that help you feel satisfied. Exercise will give you a firmer end result and you'll feel good when you've found what you enjoy.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thank-you. I will.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The science behind low carb is that when your body doesn't have carbs to burn (which is the first go to for energy) your body will then burn fat and also use it for energy. Also, studies have shown that carbs/sugar raises your blood sugar as your blood sugar lowers you get hungry and you crave more. Avoiding that makes you full longer. If you have a facebook, join the group "I love low carb" lots of information there.

If you are going the low calorie route it is as cwolfman13 said
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think the point is, if you want to lose weight, eat less than you burn. At its crux MFP is a tool to measure and track how many calories you eat and how many you burn.
    MFP doesn't tell you what to eat.
    Members will tell you what to eat, sometimes loudly, and whatever your ideas are, you can find people here who will agree and disagree.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The science behind low carb is that when your body doesn't have carbs to burn (which is the first go to for energy) your body will then burn fat and also use it for energy. Also, studies have shown that carbs/sugar raises your blood sugar as your blood sugar lowers you get hungry and you crave more. Avoiding that makes you full longer. If you have a facebook, join the group "I love low carb" lots of information there.

If you are going the low calorie route it is as cwolfman13 said

Low carb works on the same premise as any other diet...calorie reduction is required to lose weight. Low carb is just a way to get there.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    you guys are very helpful and supportive. Thank-you. I gather that whatever type of eating plan you pick, as long as their is a calorie deficit, you will lose. You just have to find what works best for you. We are, afterall, different.
  • JJScheib
    JJScheib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything. Just weigh it so you know exactly how much you are eating.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Here is a link that explains it better than I can. You don't necessarily lower you calorie intake when you eat low carb. I eat much more calories now, then I did when I was doing low calorie. Both low calorie and low carb work. It is just a matter of preference. I control myself better doing low carb, others are probably different. You just have to choose what you can stick to for life.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You just have to find what works best for you. We are, afterall, different.

I think that's right. Also carbs seem to vary for some people. MFP helped me to see that I might want to eat more protein, which I now do, but I also find that I lose weight faster if I eat less gluten-based carbs (so less bread and pasta) and more in the form of rice and potatoes. That may well just be me: you will need to try what works for you.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!