Help with headaches and mental fog

Options
I feel like I'm always fatigued, and lately also have a slight headache/mind fog often. It is not for lack of calories, but I so think it may be for lack of proper nutrition. Are there any foods/beverages you consume or avoid that you feel have had a noticeable impact on your energy and clarity? Thanks in advance. (I have been like this for as long as I can remember, I do feel good after a 30 minute jog, other than that I usually feel tired (not anemic).

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated how many you actually need? Most women actually need more calories than they think, and so systematically undereat when they start dieting. Are you doing low carb? Too few carbs can cause the problems you describe even if you're getting enough calories overall.

If your diary was open it would help others to see what's going on and make suggestions. There are all kinds of possibilities but without seeing your diary it's hard to know what to suggest.
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Drinks with artificial sugar have that affect on me, particularly when I was drinking 2 or more cans of diet coke / pepsi max / diet sprite / diet fanta etc a day. Noticed a big difference when I cut them out and replaced them with tea or water instead.
    I've also experienced it when I've had too high protein and next to no carbs as Neandermagnon mentioned in their reply.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Your brain relies on glucose to function,if your carbs are to low that may be your problem. Not sure though because I can't see your diary.
  • j3bean
    j3bean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You might consider that you have a Candida overgrowth. I was just watching a segment of the Dr. Oz show segment on symptoms and a test. Fatigue and brain fog are two of the big symptoms. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to the show segment, but I found a synopsis of the content here:

http://episode-guide.info/family-health/dr-oz-exhaustion-causing-yeast-overgrowth-symptoms-saliva-test/
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    to be honest I feel like this when I have too many carbs. If this is a factor for you it would explain why after a run you feel better.
    Perhaps experiment for a week and see how you feel.

Also are you drinking enough water?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've only experienced mental fog when I was either not eating enough calories, or when I was not eating enough carbs when the calorie level was fine.

I get headaches when I don't eat enough calories.

How many calories are you eating compared to your calculated TDEE? Or are you using MFP's settings? (In which case I would ask...did you choose something that gave you a calorie goal below your BMR like it did for me, in which case I would again advise you to calculate your TDEE and make sure your calorie goal isn't too far under it.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback! Sorry I did not respond earlier, some family health issues. I think the stress from that made me really off (was waiting on some biopsy results that thank God came out benign).

I will try all of your suggestions, I do use stevia every day, so maybe I will feel better without that, good carbs only, and not too much. Thank you!