does this sound right?

Options
I've just made a shake and after weighing the ingredients and calculating calories the total comes to 745 calories, it's really tasty, if this calorie total sounds right putting on the weight might be easier if i have one every night. Ingredients are one banana, 50g oats, 3 tbsp nutella, 2 × pots kids fromage frais, 300 ml milk.

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I drink a weight gain shake usually, but yours sounds better.
  • emlou112
    emlou112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great thank you!
  • emlou112
    emlou112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok so I havent made it since. The first half went down well but I struggled to finish it. I think I think I'm onto something here though so I'm going to stock up on the ingredients and make it every morning, drink half in the morning and leave in the fridge, then drink the rest of it before bed.
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah drink it in the morning so it will start your metabolism and although it's good to have something small before bed if you're trying to gain weight, too much at night will store into glycogen. I've been doing shakes when I need more calories or just getting added nutrients by blending veggies/turmeric/ginger along with other components that make my body feel great :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    Yeah drink it in the morning so it will start your metabolism and although it's good to have something small before bed if you're trying to gain weight, too much at night will store into glycogen. I've been doing shakes when I need more calories or just getting added nutrients by blending veggies/turmeric/ginger along with other components that make my body feel great :)

Or not..

OP, drinking your calories is a great way to get them in if you can't eat enough. You can play around with the ratios - perhaps consider a protein powder for extra protein, I love avocado and nut butters for fat too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No to this..

OP, you can drink this by splitting it through out the day or even consuming before bed however you want to..
    Drinking your calories is a great way to ADD them in to your day..
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

No to this..

OP, you can drink this by splitting it through out the day or even consuming before bed however you want to..

Lol it's simple chemistry of the human body so don't know how it's "no to this". Educate yourself.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Garebearrr wrote: »
    Lol it's simple chemistry of the human body so don't know how it's "no to this". Educate yourself.

She is educated on lots of things my friend, she is a great help to lots of people. More people should try to be like her. Anyway,I'm not trying to have a go at you, so please don't take it that way. I think the no was to do with drinking every thing in the morning, sounds a little unhealthy to me. You need a balanced diet and extra calories to add weight. The reverse, as in calorie deficit to lose weight. Simple!!!

OP, please can you help me with something, I will drop you an email to explain.

• saFit247
    saFit247 Posts: 117 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No to this..

Gia07 is right and scientifically correct... Calorie requirement needs to be calculated as per your body type & weight its not that simple as "just gulp it down" it has to split correctly and evenly.. its taken me over 2 years to gain 11 KG of "healthy weight".. Please don't misguide if your not sure yourself...
    Again Garebearrr no offense intended, we appreciate your interaction Cheers! ...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No to this..

Strong irony!
    Hope your metabolism started up ok this morning. :smile:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

No to this..

Please explain said simple chemistry to us un-edumakated folk
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

No to this..

Strong irony!
    Hope your metabolism started up ok this morning. :smile:

Lol. This reminds me of trying to start up the lawnmower, just going at it and pulling on that handle thing, hoping it roars to life (I know how the sparking mechanism works, and somehow doubt our bodies work the same way…).

Anyway. OP, I would personally ignore the weird advice about drinking at morning and not at night. First, the whole metabolism needing jumpstarting in the morning is an old myth. Second, as I understand it, glycogen storage in our muscles is a good thing if you’re doing resistance training and you need to repair your muscles, and besides it’s not like it’s fat storage. I’ve seen overnight protein shakes just for this.

In terms of your shake, I love adding Nutella to anything, so I’m a big fan. I second the tip on using avocado: it makes shakes amazingly creamy and delicious, but you can’t really taste it per say. Other things I like in shakes are flax seed oil/ground seeds, peanut butter, or greek yogurt :smile: .