Sugars

Options
Hey Folks. I always seem to have an issue with my sugar count. It seems, a couple of glasses of Tropicana OJ, and a milk after my daily run, and I am pushing my sugar goal.

Any tips, thoughts, etc...

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar macro. It's more so for added sugar. Sugar in fruit, juice, etc is counted in your carbs macro.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Ignore the sugar macro. It's more so for added sugar. Sugar in fruit, juice, etc is counted in your carbs macro.

Agreed. Unless you have a medical reason to track sugars, switching out sugars and tracking fiber instead is what most people do. Both are subsets of carbs, but getting enough fiber is very important to good digestive health and makes you feel fuller longer.

ETA: eating oranges instead of drinking OJ will give you a little more fiber.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Agreed. Unless you have a medical reason to track sugars, switching out sugars and tracking fiber instead is what most people do. Both are subsets of carbs, but getting enough fiber is very important to good digestive health and makes you feel fuller longer.

ETA: eating oranges instead of drinking OJ will give you a little more fiber.

+1

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is pretty high calorie. It adds up fast. I agree with the "eat fruit rather than drinking it" idea. More fiber and satisfaction, fewer cals overall. For plain old thirst, I recommend plain old water.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking juices and drink water. It's fairly simple. The choice is yours.

This.
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why?

Juice is packed full of fruit sugars and minimal fibre and really high in calories. Because it has the fibre removed, you won't feel full either after consuming so many calories. You'd be better off without the juice and head for water which has no calories. Even go 50% water in your juice will help.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »
    Why?

Juice is packed full of fruit sugars and minimal fibre and really high in calories. Because it has the fibre removed, you won't feel full either after consuming so many calories. You'd be better off without the juice and head for water which has no calories. Even go 50% water in your juice will help.

What if satiety is not an issue and I have the calories available for it?

Then go for it.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    keef1972 wrote: »
    Hey Folks. I always seem to have an issue with my sugar count. It seems, a couple of glasses of Tropicana OJ, and a milk after my daily run, and I am pushing my sugar goal.

Any tips, thoughts, etc...

If you want to wean yourself off the OJ, try diluting it with sparkling mineral water and gradually reducing the amount of OJ in the mix over a number of weeks. That worked for me and I can't actually stand drinking OJ now unless it's very diluted.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options

-slow head tilt?-