Loose fat

Options
So I've lost 16 lbs, and just maintaining for now. I've noticed when I sit down that the fat on my thighs really spreads out, a lot more than it used to when I was 16 lbs heavier. Has anyone else experienced this? I also notice when I run that my fat bounces like I'm wearing heavy, loose, baggy clothing. Will this go away eventually? Or when I reach my goal weight will my loose skin still spread when sitting down and bounce when running? I'm 5'8", and currently 179 lbs.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If it is squishy fat, see the link above. If it is loose skin, you may still have some spreading after, it depends on your age and genetics. I have lost most of the fat on my stomach, but when I lean forward the remaining skin and fat sags down like a pooch :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a thing as "loose fat". If you're having "bagging" issues, then it's that the skin is loose. There may still be fat in the skin, but it's capacity of storage is reduced (think of a balloon losing air here). Loose skin happens with weight loss for some (especially if one has more than 80+ to lose) but genetics, age and how fast one loses can increase chances of it happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dear OP

I love you for your appropriate use of the word loose

Just had to say it as I was expecting something entirely different

Carry on :)

Oh and lift progressively heavier things, squat, lunge and be patient
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dear OP

I love you for your appropriate use of the word loose.

Oh and lift heavy

Yes, there should be some sort of special prize for that. :)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

I thought exactly the same when I opened it! Hurrah for its correct use for once.

OP... Congrats on your 16lb loss so far!!!
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Dear OP

I thought exactly the same when I opened it! Hurrah for its correct use for once.

OP... Congrats on your 16lb loss so far!!!

• kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This!! And yes, congrats on 16 pounds!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to point you to an article, but I will tell you that I experience wobbly areas after weight loss that then tighten up over time. Totally get what you're talking about. Congratulations on your 16 lbs! Keep it up!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    My fat looks a bit funny and loose after every 10 pounds I lose. It's not quite the squishy fat that Lyle talks about...but a melty look. When I'm lying down my hip fat kind of spreads. Then I'll lose a couple pounds and it will look a bit better. All in all, I don't think it will completely go away unless I get extremely lean.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!

Haha thanks for the correct terminology prize :) It drives me nuts when people mix up spelling so I'm extra careful about it. Although I have noticed that since I left the workforce I'm distracted or mommy brain or something and I'll write their when I meant to write there. Then I make my own eye twitch haha.

@arditarose Yes! A melty look is a great way to describe it. I looked up that article on squishy fat when I lost my first 10 lbs because my fat did feel really squishy, it was the weirdest thing ever. My fat does still feel squishy a bit, but I think melty is a better way to describe it now. It's kind of like how water in a bag spreads when you set it down. I'll go back and re-read that article though, as it was January when I read it last.

I've had quite a few 3,000 calorie days (yesterday being one of them), but the scale dropped like 2 lbs since yesterday, so maybe a bit of it is squishy fat. I don't really get it though, because in my mind I've been eating around maintenance for the good last while. Oh well though, I shouldn't complain I suppose. The scale is going down, slowly.

And I am doing a bit of lifting and body weight exercises, so maybe I'm burning more than I think. What's a good body composition decrease rate? Last time I did measurements I was down 4.5" in one week (tracking waist, hips, thighs, biceps, bust, underbust, and neck). I have one barbell for my arms, and have been doing a few bodyweight exercises too (Russian twists, bicycle crunches, pushups, push downs - if that's a thing... like drop downs for chin ups, but with pushups. Not really any leg exercises because my knees crack like crazy, but I carry around my kids a lot, and that's a good thigh workout haha)
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff do you have any articles you can link about fat bagging? Lol when I do a search for it I don't get the kind of articles I'm looking for. I'm 31 years old, and lost the 16 lbs relatively quickly IMO (over 2.5 months). I have 12 lbs to go until I'm in a healthy BMI, and anything beyond that is gravy. It seems so close and yet so far away. Ideally I'd like to lose another 25 lbs and get into strength training.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

ditto that LOL

i would say to start working on body recomp and lifting weights
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff do you have any articles you can link about fat bagging? Lol when I do a search for it I don't get the kind of articles I'm looking for. I'm 31 years old, and lost the 16 lbs relatively quickly IMO (over 2.5 months). I have 12 lbs to go until I'm in a healthy BMI, and anything beyond that is gravy. It seems so close and yet so far away. Ideally I'd like to lose another 25 lbs and get into strength training.
    My point was that if you lost weight and the skin "hangs" (a baggy look), it's due to the fact that the skin didn't retract back. Time will tell if it does retract, but if it doesn't, there isn't much you can do about it except surgery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

I don't think you would be seeing loose skin at your age and only 16 pounds. I've lost 51 and don't have that issue!

But the body recomp article is spot on. I get that gross loose fat in my arms, my legs, even my belly. Now it's kind of exciting to see it.