UK vs. US portions and nutrition

Options

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, personally not a fan of fish and chips although I do love mushy peas!

Anyway, personally I think in the UK we tend to eat out less but if you are over visiting you are probably likely to be taken out a lot. Depending on the type of places you go, you can either get reasonable portion size and healthy foods, or large portions of rubbish.

Just for example most English people just eat cereal or toast for breakfast unless it's the weekend when we might have egg & bacon etc. But again if you are going our for breakfast you'll find menus tend to offer anything from pastries and porridge, to eggs Benedict or pancakes.

Cheltenham has loads of variety when it comes to food, the common popular chains and smaller independent cafe's and pubs. The latter tend to cost more but be better quality in my opinion although can still be calorific.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bailey_432 wrote: »
    shannonbun wrote: »
    Thank you all for the responses! I'll be in Cheltenham, but visiting my boyfriend in London pretty frequently, so I'll have to drag him along to one of the farmers' markets a few times. Thankfully (for my diet's sake), my home school has a rule against drinking alcohol, so I won't be drinking while I'm over there. I've been making my tea the "proper English way" the boyfriend taught me, but I found out I put way too much sugar into it--gotta change that.

Cheltenham is a beautiful town! How many sugars is too many? I put 2 in my cuppa :blush:

I usually use like 2 packets of splenda, but I was told that's a whole lot :c
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Cheltenham is lovely. Pity you just missed the (horse) races.

I know it's not great diet food, but make sure you get fish & chips once, and try toad-in-the-hole. We also do a good stodgy pudding here, like jam roly poly or sticky toffee pudding.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    (The UK has an obesity rate of 62% in adults of both sexes; so take that as you will.)

I think "only" around 25% are obese in the UK. (You're maybe including overweight adults as well?). Still high, but quite a bit lower than your figure, and lower than in the US (where it's about 35%, I believe).

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    (The UK has an obesity rate of 62% in adults of both sexes; so take that as you will.)

I think "only" around 25% are obese in the UK. (You're maybe including overweight adults as well?). Still high, but quite a bit lower than your figure, and lower than in the US (where it's about 35%, I believe).

Sorry, yes, "overweight".
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

I know it's not great diet food, but make sure you get fish & chips once, and try toad-in-the-hole. We also do a good stodgy pudding here, like jam roly poly or sticky toffee pudding.
    Or (SAY IT!!) Spotted Dick! Americans always get shifty-eyed about that one!
  • yesimpson
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

TRUE. What I wouldn't do for Spotted Dick...

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Sorry about that...but really...does that sound like anything one would want near one's mouth?
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have any of you been to Australia and tried fish and chips here? So much better.

The fish are better, the batter is worse, the chips.. just aren't right.

Perhaps if chip shops stopped using frozen chips so often then it would be better. And they really need to start having vinegar in the shop too!
  • Dreamyriver
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ...double post - I'm blaming Aussie internet :wink:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Have any of you been to Australia and tried fish and chips here? So much better.

Perhaps if chip shops stopped using frozen chips so often then it would be better. And they really need to start having vinegar in the shop too!

I prefer Australian batter - English is thick and stodgy... And the English chips are disastrous! Soggy and blah. I've not been to a chip shop in Australia that doesn't have vinegar....
  • Dreamyriver
    Options

I prefer Australian batter - English is thick and stodgy... And the English chips are disastrous! Soggy and blah. I've not been to a chip shop in Australia that doesn't have vinegar....

If you've had thick and stodgy batter then you've gone to the wrong places!

I've only been to one chip shop (actually it was a cafe rather than a takeaway) that had vinegar. It was also probably the best chips I'd had too - perhaps the two were connected?

Our first ever trip to a chippy here, I asked for vinegar.. they went in the back and got me some white vinegar. It ain't the same, lol.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been making my tea the "proper English way" the boyfriend taught me, but I found out I put way too much sugar into it--gotta change that.

This sounds weird, but are there things like Splenda over there? Just no-calorie sweetners in general?

Oh my goodness... we aren't a third world country you know.
    Yes, we are civilised enough to have sweeteners. I really don't know how else to respond to this...

There are no rules regarding sugar in tea, there are no rules full stop... you really are over-thinking this! There is zero reason for your diet to change *AT ALL* unless you eat out at American chains constantly and they don't exist here, in which case your diet will probably improve vastly (unless of course you replace them with British chains such as Wetherspoons mentioned above.) Eat what you want, drink what you want.

In regards to Wetherspoons, avoid it like the plague. God awful food.

Chocolate is different, yes, however, most Americans seem to end up preferring ours, our recipe's aren't modified to avoid melting because the weather here is pretty crap for the most part, it's not like our chocolate needs to withstand Arizona heat. I often get friends asking me to send Cadbury's chocolate stateside.

• yesimpson
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Sorry about that...but really...does that sound like anything one would want near one's mouth?

That's how we keep non-Brits away from it... We're clever really.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Thank you all for the responses! I'll be in Cheltenham, but visiting my boyfriend in London pretty frequently, so I'll have to drag him along to one of the farmers' markets a few times. Thankfully (for my diet's sake), my home school has a rule against drinking alcohol, so I won't be drinking while I'm over there. I've been making my tea the "proper English way" the boyfriend taught me, but I found out I put way too much sugar into it--gotta change that.

This sounds weird, but are there things like Splenda over there? Just no-calorie sweetners in general?

You aren't going to a third world country,haha. Perhaps take supplies of your favourites, or arrange to have them sent over.... Even if they have the same product made by the same company it may not be the same recipe. (English Cadbury chocolate is nothing like Australian Cadbury chocolate for example...)

They have Wholefoods! The first one opened in London when I was there, it was heaven

English Cadbury was the finest milk chocolate in the world until the lousy Kraft bought it and ruined it. Humph.

YES! RIP Cadbury...

and for the record, I hate tea. COFFEE ALL THE WAY! And I know you said you don't drink but... you will be by the end. That is how we deal with living here. lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    UK pastrami sandwich = 2 slices of bread, a slice or two of protein and salad / dressing

US sandwich = 2 slices of bread, half a cow and pickles / salad / dressing

Buy a UK sandwich and you will consider it an amuse bouche in comparison
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I've heard our food is a bit richer than american food, I'm surprised we don't all have gout to be honest...
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I've heard our food is a bit richer than american food, I'm surprised we don't all have gout to be honest...

I always wanted to BE Henry VIII but never wanted his gout. Pahahahaha
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

I always wanted to BE Henry VIII but never wanted his gout. Pahahahaha

Ha ha ha he is the only reason I know about gout. I would like to try swan pie...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    UK pastrami sandwich = 2 slices of bread, a slice or two of protein and salad / dressing

US sandwich = 2 slices of bread, half a cow and pickles / salad / dressing

Buy a UK sandwich and you will consider it an amuse bouche in comparison

Reuben's in NY... Oh my... I'll never have one anywhere else again!