When should I stop bulking?

Options
Hello my name is Alexi and I started bulking 3 months ago but in the past week gained 2-3lbs. I am going to post pictures of myself so I can get feedback on the bulk so far. I need everyone to be honest and tell me what weight would be optimal for me. I am five foot seven and 164lbs currently. Also tell me if I am too fat already or if I have room to grow. Current goal for weight is 216lbs. im2613stwaq1.jpg
vq3fre9bmop5.jpg
6w4cnr0rqctz.jpg
bxt380b4q92l.jpg

Replies

• nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am really proud of you Alexi :) I knew this was hard for you to post these!

• karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am really proud of you Alexi :) I knew this was hard for you to post these!

:smiley:
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You should look at my post called what is bulking it should help
  • karrysalexi
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You should stop bulking now. You're goal of 216 is incredibly lofty. At your height getting to 216 will almost alway have you at overweight or obese. The amount of lbm that you can add for your body isn't likely to be anywhere near the range for your to be 216 and lean. If you continue bulking right now now until you are 216 lbs then you will 100% be obese.

Okay.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It is generally recommended to switch from bulk to cut at around 15%. This is because the body tends to store/build more of what it already has. So, the higher body fat a person is, the more likely that additional weight will also be fat.
  • karrysalexi
    Options
    You should stop bulking now. You're goal of 216 is incredibly lofty. At your height getting to 216 will almost alway have you at overweight or obese. The amount of lbm that you can add for your body isn't likely to be anywhere near the range for your to be 216 and lean. If you continue bulking right now now until you are 216 lbs then you will 100% be obese.

Okay.

You're right. I'm a small man and a small mans gotta be small lol.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options

Lol see? I told you! You are my height man so 216 would not be great on either of us! Doesn't mean we need to be small but we work with what we have got and whip our bodies into shape :)
  • karrysalexi
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    It is generally recommended to switch from bulk to cut at around 15%. This is because the body tends to store/build more of what it already has. So, the higher body fat a person is, the more likely that additional weight will also be fat.

OP, that^^^^ Nutrient partitioning.

Okay. I understand better now. So I'll just maintain my weight now.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rather than maintain, I'd say its time for a cut to bring body fat back down to the 10-12% range. Its important here to maintain an intense, heavy lifting program with a relatively high protein intake so that muscle is maintained. Once body fat is back down, bulk again until that 15% mark. Rinse and repeat.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Rather than maintain, I'd say its time for a cut to bring body fat back down to the 10-12% range. Its important here to maintain an intense, heavy lifting program with a relatively high protein intake so that muscle is maintained. Once body fat is back down, bulk again until that 15% mark. Rinse and repeat.

Agreed. Make sure that workout regime had cardio and lots of weights
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Please take this as a humble opinion, and one that has worked for ME, for the three bulk cycles I've done in my life.

Rule 1: Never bulk past 15-16% body fat.
    If you make it past that, do a mini cut during your bulk to keep in check.

Rule 2: bulk until you have to.
    Your goal shouldn't be your weight. You can put on 50lbs in a week if you want to.
    Personally I don't consider a bulk a proper bulk unless it's at least 8 months.
    Through that time, you should look into minimal weight gain each week. Remember. You're trying to put on muscle weight, not fat.
    How much muscle do you think you can realistically gain in 3 months!? Nothing noticeable.

When you cut, you'll lose all your gains if:
    A) you've not made enough gains to sustain a cut
    2) you've put on too much fat so your cut will take too long, or will be too demanding.

So, do a mini cut down to 13-14%, and go back to your bulk, looking at putting on about 1lbs per week.. Until you make enough gains to warrant cutting to.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Options

OP, that^^^^ Nutrient partitioning.

I learned something new as well from this! I had been recommended to go to about 15-16% body fat then switch to cutting but had not known about the term so thanks!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Okay.

You're right. I'm a small man and a small mans gotta be small lol.

You have to be reasonable, that's all, and that doesn't mean you have to be small but you will need to figure out what "big" looks like for you. 175-180 would be my guess as the highest you could get naturally while still being at a 15% BF level and you will be huge.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Doesn't Martin Berkhans have a rough guide on genetic potential for LBM & weight? Something like height (in cm) minus 100 equals your weight in kg at shredded contest BF (4-5%) levels? Based on his observations of guys he's trained.

Edit: I see he's not the first guy to come up with that.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    not sure what program you are on but I did Kris Gethin 12 week bulk and gained 20lbs.
  • karrysalexi
    Options
    not sure what program you are on but I did Kris Gethin 12 week bulk and gained 20lbs.

I'm currently doing the Dymatize Project Mass program. Kris Gethin one looks great too.
  • karrysalexi
    Options

I'm currently doing the Dymatize Project Mass program. Kris Gethin one looks great too.

I used to be 215lbs. And it looked fine except for a somewhat unacceptable gut. My body fat was 19% at 215 but I felt healthy. I don't know. I kind of want to keep going and it is awfully easy to consume almost 4000 calories a day for me.