My first concert was . . .

Options
theactionfigure1
theactionfigure1 Posts: 124 Member
Share who you went to see at your first concert! If you're like me, you have been to MANY... but who was your very first? Who'd you go with, how was it? Tell us about your experience! I'll go first, it's actually kinda hilarious.

Replies

• theactionfigure1
    Options
    I went to see an Elvis impersonator with my Mom in KCMO. He was actually one of the very first impersonators ever. His stage name was Elvis Wade. It was a huge production, complete with Graceland gates to the outdoor stage, and Cadillacs parked all around. People were trampling other people getting in, and screaming like banshees! You'd have thought the 'King' was still alive! The hilarious part is that my Mom ended up marrying this guy many years later... true story!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bob Marley. When I was 3, apparently with my dad. I don't remember it.
  • deathbybunny
    deathbybunny Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Friday 15 July 1988 (13yo), Jethro Tull. Went with an older cousin and I loved it.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    lollapalooza '93. i was 13. primus, rage against the machine, dinosaur jr., tool, others. it was a pretty cool first concert/festival.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My first was Crosby, Still & Nash and Fleetwood Mac in Stowe Vermont, I went with my friend Jessie, we were both in our early twenties. We had lawn seats and sat on the grass and got really high smoking the weed. I was tripping on acid before we got to the concert and I remember stopping at Ben & Jerry's somewhere in Vermont, the thing about Ben & Jerry's their outside serving area, it's really really bright and colorful and Vermont grass is really vibrant green, add tripping on acid to that and it was like a magical fiesta for my eyeballs. I didn't eat any ice cream because food sucks on acid it doesn't even feel real in the mouth (don't take that as a new diet fad either, ok?)
    It was a lot of fun and I remember seeing a bunch of freaky hippies on the way in and one guy just kept trying to reach out to me and told me he loved me a lot. Jessie kept us walking though, because I was like I love you too man.
    The music was a lot of fun, the atmosphere was fun, the walk out was crazy insane because you basically go down this huge steep path in the almost dark out of Stowe back to the parking lot. They no longer have it as a music venue.
    I think I spent the car ride home coming down off the acid, so I don't really remember a lot about it.
    I no longer do drugs or drink :) I've been to a lot of concerts since, but that was my first 'well known musicians' concert.

For lesser known musicians we had family friends 6 brothers who had a band that played mostly 60-70s music, southern rock/rock while I was growing up, I lived in a small rural town that liked to party and heard them at a semi-professional they got paid gig, around 16 where I went to a BYOB dance at the local town hall.

My family also went to fiddle-fests when I was growing up those I think I was 10 when we started going.
  • theactionfigure1
    Options
    sculptcha wrote: »
    lollapalooza '93. i was 13. primus, rage against the machine, dinosaur jr., tool, others. it was a pretty cool first concert/festival.

What an awesome first concert! I miss Rage Against the Machine!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Alice Cooper on his Dirty Diamonds tour, I was around 13
  • ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My first was last year (I'm 18 btw)
    It was Adam Lambert and Queen which was nothing less than awesome!
    Queen may have been old, and Adam Lambert may be less "out there" than Freddy Mercury, but definitely a once in a life time show :)
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    KC and the Sunshine Band
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Teddy Pendergrass at Red Rocks! :smiley:
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Merle Haggard, I was about 17, and my family cleared the whole day (including my exercise plans, ouch) to have fun. To top it all off, we almost didn't get wheelchair-safe seating in the actual arena, maybe having to watch at the door. It wasn't that bad, though, once we got in just in time for soundcheck & warmup band.
  • JeopardyRight
    JeopardyRight Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    GWAR!
  • amrunner69
    amrunner69 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ozzy Diary Of A Madman tour
  • TigerLilly98a
    TigerLilly98a Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Winger!
  • A_Patient_Wolf
    A_Patient_Wolf Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    Michael Jackson on his Bad! Tour at Wembley Stadium. Surprise for my big brothers birthday, it was awesome!!

After the encore, three big wooden crates were lowered onto the stage... The first one opens with a little explosion: a white jumpsuit. He puts it on. Second one, boom: Space helmet. Boom! Smoke clears...its a freaking jetpack! Stage hands help strap him in, he takes off, flies out over the crowd in a big loop, then up and away over the top of the stage! Open air arena. Nothing above him...mind:blown!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I had tickets to STYX but they cancelled and we ended up going to Journey instead (yes, in the 80's)...first time I ever smelled pot. That is my most vivid memory from that experience!
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Duran Duran. Right up front, against the stage. A sea of screaming girls.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Green Day in like 1995!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As much as I love music, I didnt go to my first concert until I was 31, about 7 years ago, and I saw U2 with an old high school friend. The band was great, absolutely... but Bono taking a pause between every single song to talk about the One Foundation seriously killed it for me.

I still get emails from "him" about the foundation because of that concert. Ugh.
  • Mikel423
    Mikel423 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Beach Boys...I'm pretty sure I was in a kid backpack thing bc I was really young