Exercise more... But eat WAY more

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes. I know we have plenty of hybrids.

So to talk about what nature "gave us" is somewhat misleading.

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You have to remember that the foods we eat now are way more calorie dense than what nature naturallly gives us. If you were famished and decided to feast on apples, oranges, cabbage, ugh even a small animal until you felt satisfied, I'm sure you would have felt full long before you went into a surplus. Or the surplus wouldn't have been that much. Well, that's the way I always think about it. My opinion that's all.

I agree. I can eat a lot more food, with cucumbers, tomatos, fish, chicken, and fresh fruit...etc Such variety. I will in the future have a treat, but this type of food feels like a treat to me and I eat till I'm satisfied. Also, I find that since I started disciplining myself to down 20 oz's of water right after or durning workouts/lifting/cardio, that I won't actually be hungry till a couple of hours later.
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    The study is was pretty much designed to get the headline. I always read what was involved in the study in these articles and this one seems like there is so little difference between the control group and the study group that it is pretty meaningless.

The women walked on treadmills at the laboratory three times per week for 30 minutes

In my mind isn't a lot of additional calories burnt in a week (450-600) Just way too easy to eat back that amount of calories by having 1 latte. (as they suspect)

+1 the study was pretty meaningless.
    If the women counted calories, then the exercise gives them the hoice of whether to eat back or not. If they had chosen not to then they would have lost. Exercise affects peoples appetites in different ways and not everyone gets hungrier. Even when i do long burns i.e 20-30k on the erg it doesnt make me any hungrier. It maybe because I hydrate and fuel up, but im not famished when I leave.

If you arent tracking calories and controlling the deficit then the results arent surprisng at all.
    Also a similar argyment for people who use diet drinks, they can overcompensate, so its really the people who are the cause and not the activity. Track your food and you avoid the issue.

Yup, workouts supress my appetite. I have learned that it's that I'm actually thirsty. I quence my thirst an I have no desire to eat for hours. But my mindset is changing the more I learn. I workout mainly for the "rush" of endorphins. So much better than Ativan! I sleep better, i'm more patient, I just "feel" all around good most of the time, when I get my workouts in. If I did it solely (or souly...hmm) for the purpose of eating, I would be disapointed.

*suppress
    *quench

I can't spell for a damn this morning :lol:
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was running so I could eat more. I figured I would lose weight, but stayed the same but looked better/smaller/tighter. I was totally in the mindset that if I went for a run (whether it was 3 or 10 miles) that I could eat whatever I wanted in whatever quantities I wanted. We live and learn. When I can run again it will be more for clearing my mind than a free pass to eat my weight in donuts.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I was running so I could eat more. I figured I would lose weight, but stayed the same but looked better/smaller/tighter. I was totally in the mindset that if I went for a run (whether it was 3 or 10 miles) that I could eat whatever I wanted in whatever quantities I wanted. We live and learn. When I can run again it will be more for clearing my mind than a free pass to eat my weight in donuts.

This is where exercise helps me lose size. By clearing my mind, I mindfully eat. When my mind is racing or jumbled I would eat mindlessly, not even tasting what I was eating after the first few bites. Now I take a long time to eat what I am eating, feel full faster and longer as well as understanding if i'm thirsty or actually hungry.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This was me. I've been swimming for 20 yrs and on MFP for 2. Before, I had what I call "weight creep", I was not sedentary and swam 2-3 times a week, but was slowly getting heavier. So frustrating! I couldn't figure out why--I was carefull of what I ate. Once I started MFP it was all clear. When you exercise and are hungry, you need to eat more--but how much more?, that, is the million dollar question. I finally knew exactly (or close) how much I should be eating. Now, I hear women at the pool just starting, expecting to lose weight. I think, it's probably not going to go how you think. Others are complaining of weight gain despite exercising. I think a normal person thinks exercise=weight loss. This is not true. Now I think CICO. B)

"Weight creep" describes my situation. I'm a regular gym go-er...sometimes more, sometimes less, but I've had a gym membership my entire adult life. I think exercise is very important, but weight lists doesn't happen if I exercise but don't also carefully monitor my food intake.
  • sarahwade0927
    sarahwade0927 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Yes. I know we have plenty of hybrids.

So to talk about what nature "gave us" is somewhat misleading.

I think what this poster is saying is that more naturally occurring foods (fruits and veges) are harder to over eat simply because the caloric intake for a large serving size is usually less. Whether or not these foods are 'hybrids', they're typically a better nutritional and caloric choice than a Snickers bar because they're not processed and do not grow 'naturally'. You can't plant a Snickers tree. Basically, if you can grow it, it's much better for you than most of the processed stuff you can buy.
  • sarahwade0927
    sarahwade0927 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »

I usually run right before dinner. It's just what works with my schedule. Since I'm coming home and cooking immediately it helps me not want to eat the whole kitchen and it also helps me to associate the calories I burned with some extra food at dinner. I do always try to underestimate my burn a little to ensure I'm not over eating.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    80/20 - Diet is 80% and Exercise is 20% of being completely fit. This proves that eating calorie-dense foods no matter the exercise will cause one to gain FAT. If you eat nutrient-dense foods over the long run, you will lose FAT no matter how much you exercise. That's why this whole mantra of eating whatever you want but fitting it within your calorie goals DOESN'T work. You can do this short-term, but when you scale-up your meals once the weight loss occurs, you will just gain it all back (and more). @sarahwade0927 - you are right! :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I always see calories from cardio as a way of padding out my calorie allowance. The bulk of my fat loss comes from diet.

For most people it will come from diet because its a lot easier to eat 500 less than burn 500 more. Also the effect of exercise is direcly dependent on how much you do (intensity and duration) and you have to do a lot for the direct calorie burn to be significant.

One of the other reasons I am not hungry after gym is because I drink so much water on those days. I cna imagine its annoying if gym makes you hungrier and am lad it doesnt affect me that way.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Whether or not these foods are 'hybrids', they're typically a better nutritional and caloric choice than a Snickers bar because they're not processed and do not grow 'naturally'. You can't plant a Snickers tree. Basically, if you can grow it, it's much better for you than most of the processed stuff you can buy.

You seem to be conflating several concepts here - - caloric density, nutritional density, and processing.

Whether or not something grows "naturally" seems pretty irrelevant. Of course we should consider the nutritional and caloric density of the foods we eat - - but awarding extra points because it "grows naturally" seems silly. If a Snickers bar is a poor choice at a given time due to the other foods consumed that day, it has nothing to do with the fact that it didn't grow directly from a tree.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    80/20 - Diet is 80% and Exercise is 20% of being completely fit. This proves that eating calorie-dense foods no matter the exercise will cause one to gain FAT. If you eat nutrient-dense foods over the long run, you will lose FAT no matter how much you exercise. That's why this whole mantra of eating whatever you want but fitting it within your calorie goals DOESN'T work. You can do this short-term, but when you scale-up your meals once the weight loss occurs, you will just gain it all back (and more). @sarahwade0927 - you are right! :smiley:

You only gain the weight back if you start eating above maintenance - that goes for any kind of food that you eat.
  • uvi5
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I always see calories from cardio as a way of padding out my calorie allowance. The bulk of my fat loss comes from diet.

For most people it will come from diet because its a lot easier to eat 500 less than burn 500 more. Also the effect of exercise is direcly dependent on how much you do (intensity and duration) and you have to do a lot for the direct calorie burn to be significant.

One of the other reasons I am not hungry after gym is because I drink so much water on those days. I cna imagine its annoying if gym makes you hungrier and am lad it doesnt affect me that way.

I am thankful for that as well. I can imagine how maddening it must be to be famished after a workout. I enjoy the buzz it gives me as well as the great side effects, quality sleep, focus (mental), attitude, etc. Also what you mentioned about water. I am making the habit of drinking a lot directly after and/or durning workouts, then I am far from hungry after.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well there's the mindset of 'I exercised, I can eat that' and being totally way off, and the fact that exercising can make you much hungrier too.

A few years ago I joined a gym and I was so hungry after 30 minutes on the treadmill, that I would stop at Burger King on the way home (I know, it's sad). So this time I learned my lesson and decided to get the diet under control first, and started exercise 2 weeks later.

But yeah... I see people run a 5k and use it as an excuse to eat 1000 calories of food and I scratch my head... I'd burn maybe 350 calories running that. I used to think that runners could eat pretty much anything... now not so much...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The difference in reality and perception of caloric burn can be huge. This study with 30 minutes of walking three times per week ... 90 minutes of low intensity activity ... didn't burn a lot of calories. A 200 pound person walking at 3mph nets under 300 total calories for the week from that level of activity so eating a mere extra 50 calories per day negates any caloric deficit.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not clear on why people are saying the study is bogus because the treadmill group only did three sessions of 30 minutes per week of treadmill work. There was a statistically-significant difference in weight gain between that group and the control group. I think the fact that the exercise group didn't do that much exercise and still gained weight underscores the point--there is a danger of mentally feeling like one can eat whatever they want because they exercised.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    Yesterday I went kayaking all day. I am incredibly sore today. It was fun being on the water for so long, I really pushed myself and I felt what I call "good-tired" afterwards (tired from physical activity-- not boredom, not stress, etc.).

But I was about 500 cals over my limit. We packed a good lunch but I was famished when I got home. I drank a big glass of water, but my stomach was still growling. I ate cheese and crackers, some olives, and some chips and salsa-- all before dinner. I ended the day 500 cals over my limit. This was frustrating as I had worked so hard physically. The joy of being on the water was good for the spirit-- I don't want to minimize that. But I wish I could have kept to a deficit.

To the OP... You did an all day activity, that is likely outside of your normal daily activity. You ended the day 500 calories over your limit. Did you factor into your calories burn for the day the activity that you did? You may have burnt well over 500 calories doing a full day of kayaking. So if you didn't allow some additional calories for this all day activity, you may not have been over your net calories for the day and may well have had a deficit for the day.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Yep. I cannot convince my IRL fitness friend of this. We work out together every day, fairly moderately, for about half an hour. It's not a huge burn at all. Without fail, she'll follow our workouts with a 44oz Coke or full-size Snickers because "I need the sugar after a workout." I've lost 7lbs since we started our journey together; she's gained ten... but she won't listen to me when I tell her that she's eating back more than twice what she burned. (She's very into the Cosmo "diet-mag" weight loss philosophies, though I did recently get her to join MFP so there may be hope.)

I understand it, because I was immensely frustrated when I started here two years ago and faced the truth of what I need, what I burn, and what I can eat if I want to lose weight. Denial is nicer in a lot of ways. It's hard to face the idea that even when you're exhausting yourself in the gym you're not actually burning much. It's hard to understand that the 40 minutes you spent nearly killing yourself on the trails or under the deadlift bar didn't earn you much of anything. I kind of think, though -- if you don't want to face those realities, you aren't really ready to lose weight. It sucks, but it's reality.
  • adamhostetler7
    adamhostetler7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah I see that. Lots of people will exercise a bit and the justify eating tons of food. I used to work at the Cheesecake Factory and I remember hearing people say, "oh! I ran 2 miles today! I can have that cheesecake!" They would proceed to eat the entire cheesecake after finishing off their main meal. Their entire caloric intake for that meal would probably have been in the range of 2000-3000 calories.

I'm not saying your justifying anything at all. You know about nutrition and how to lose weight you just had an off day! 500 calories isn't that bad! But I think a vast majority of people feel that if they do a little exercise... They can stuff whatever they want into their mouths!

This is kind of how MFP works though, but within reason obviously. Exercise enough and enter it into MFP and it will allow you to eat that cheasecake!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    After hard exercise and being tired (and especially when being weekend warrior sore for two or three days after) you may also be cannibalizing NEAT calories you would have otherwise burned.