Saving Calories Based on Hunger Levels

Options
So, I used to have a full balanced breakfast thinking that it would save me calories later in the day, but I have now noticed that if I eat till I am full and just save the rest it saves me WAY more calories and prevents binge eating. So, now instead of having my fruit, veggies, soy milk (etc) all at once for breakfast, I have what it takes to get full and have the rest an hour or more later when I want food again. I notice that if I eat when I am truly hungry it saves me calories, because I didn't waste them in the name of nutrition by overeating when I wasn't hungry. I'm not sure if anyone else does that, but I am on 1200 and it makes me so much fuller and happier having calories to spend on stuff I want when I truly want it most! Lana

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It only makes sense to stop eating when you are full. However that would not work well for me. I rarely feel full before I have over eaten. For some of us learning to recognize the feeling of having had enough is a part of the problem. Sometimes that means paying attention to the calories in each meal and trying to live with the feeling of being not quite satisfied.

I am glad that you found a system that is working well for you though. What matters is that you are having success. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    It only makes sense to stop eating when you are full. However that would not work well for me. I rarely feel full before I have over eaten. For some of us learning to recognize the feeling of having had enough is a part of the problem. Sometimes that means paying attention to the calories in each meal and trying to live with the feeling of being not quite satisfied.

I am glad that you found a system that is working well for you though. What matters is that you are having success. :)

There was a BBC documentary a while back about different types of over eating. One type involved people who only produce low levels of the gut hormones that signal fullness. The dietary recommendations for this type of over eating are below. Apparently you can boost feelings of fullness by increasing protein and lowering glycemic index.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/rightdiet/feasters.pdf