Healthy on a budget - so?

Options
13»

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yes, I live in Oslo, Norway, born, but not raised, here.

It would be possible to get Scandinavian foods in Minnesota - that's where the majority of Norwegian immigrants settled, I think. Now we are all over the place :p

Norwegian/Scandinavian foods have some interesting similarities to Eastern European foods - the cereals, spices, vegetables and some dairy and meat we use is quite close to the description of Slavic, Russian, Baltic eats. I have started eating more traditionally during the last year. I think it's fascinating to see the continuum and trying new (old) things.
    At first the Baltic, Slavic connection surprised me. If I had thought about it, I would have guessed a closer connection to England or Germany but, looking at a map, you couldn't walk to Berlin without going through Russia, the Baltics and Poland first. Guessing the the first travelers along that path were going the other way though. Then the road dead ended in Norway so they became Vikings and invented cruise ships? Just guessing because In school during the 50's all I learned about the Vikings was from one paragraph that said they found the New World but didn't think much of it.
    The only Scandanavian dish I've heard of is Lutefisk and that only from punchlines. I hear Maaemo is one of the best restaurants in the world. I can't testify to that but they do have the coolest restaurant website I've ever seen.
    At Maaemo, our focus is on a complete experience. In doing so, we want to highlight the relationship between the raw nature, produce and our cultural history. Welcome to our universe.
    I'd like to eat there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Yes, I live in Oslo, Norway, born, but not raised, here.

It would be possible to get Scandinavian foods in Minnesota - that's where the majority of Norwegian immigrants settled, I think. Now we are all over the place :p

Norwegian/Scandinavian foods have some interesting similarities to Eastern European foods - the cereals, spices, vegetables and some dairy and meat we use is quite close to the description of Slavic, Russian, Baltic eats. I have started eating more traditionally during the last year. I think it's fascinating to see the continuum and trying new (old) things.
    At first the Baltic, Slavic connection surprised me. If I had thought about it, I would have guessed a closer connection to England or Germany but, looking at a map, you couldn't walk to Berlin without going through Russia, the Baltics and Poland first. Guessing the the first travelers along that path were going the other way though. Then the road dead ended in Norway so they became Vikings and invented cruise ships? Just guessing because In school during the 50's all I learned about the Vikings was from one paragraph that said they found the New World but didn't think much of it.

The Vikings had ships :)
    The only Scandanavian dish I've heard of is Lutefisk and that only from punchlines.
    Lutefisk doesn't really taste of anything, it's just jelly. You should try to get hold of some brunost, Jarlsbergost, and rømmegrøt.
    I hear Maaemo is one of the best restaurants in the world. I can't testify to that but they do have the coolest restaurant website I've ever seen.
    At Maaemo, our focus is on a complete experience. In doing so, we want to highlight the relationship between the raw nature, produce and our cultural history. Welcome to our universe.
    I'd like to eat there.

I think their website stunk :s I haven't eaten there myself, but I was just in the neighborhood today, shopping for fruit and vegetables in one of the etnic markets. Whereas "normal" Norwegian grocery stores are getting more and more like communist Eastern Europe or some developing country - these stores have both the variety and quality needed to stay healthy in a really cheap and fun way. Almost too much to choose from, and very popular, lots of costumers every day. I was almost overwhelmed, but took some deep breaths, and I came home with dark green squash, red and green peppers, corn on the cob, radiccio rosso, romanesco, mangostans, loquats, Packham(?) pears and red (Crimson) grapes. And two pounds of lamb mince from the butcher across the square. Tomorrow will be chili con carne day B)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think their website stunk :s ...

Why? Was it Artic Gonads Got Me High or How Horns Filled With Cowshit Affect the Way I Cook. :p

That sounds like a great ethnic market. I'm jealous. Does it specialize in one ethnicity or many?
    Norwegian grocery stores are getting more and more like communist Eastern Europe or some developing country
    That's strong language. Care to elaborate? I'm imagining aisles of empty shelves.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I think their website stunk :s ...

Why? Was it Artic Gonads Got Me High or How Horns Filled With Cowshit Affect the Way I Cook. :p
    :p
    That sounds like a great ethnic market. I'm jealous. Does it specialize in one ethnicity or many?
    This one was... many. But I also have access to Russian/Eastern European, Turkish/Mediterranian/Middle East, and East Asian/Vietnamese shops/markets.
    Norwegian grocery stores are getting more and more like communist Eastern Europe or some developing country
    That's strong language. Care to elaborate? I'm imagining aisles of empty shelves.

It's a heated debate here. 2-3 chain stores are taking over the market, every store has the same products, or the same products, just grated, sliced and diced. The shelves are full, but it's the same stuff just from 2-3 manufacturers. Norwegians want cheap food, right now we are using 11% of disposable income, I think, on food, and that is reflected in the shelves. We have massive taxes in import, to protect our own produce. Add to that the general fear of fat, and the fear of novelty... it's just sad. LIDL tried to establish here, but had to give up.
  • amipersin
    amipersin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think someone has said this but, HOMEMADE!!! I have not changed a thing since I started 3 weeks ago, Except 1 very important thing, Portion. I eat everything I used to, If I feel like something I am going to have it, If that means going over my calories I get out and exercise, I have always prepared healthy meals but you can eat too much of healthy calorie wise, Portion control is key to losing weight and exercising, You have to make a lifestyle change that you feel you can keep up even after you have reached your goal :)