When Skinny People Say They Are Fat..?

Options

Replies

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

OP, it's all relative. I feel "fat" when I'm 160lbs @ 5'5". I'm 144lbs now and still feel "fat" sometimes and I know people who are weighing more than me think it's odd, and I know I, myself, think it's odd when someone who's weighing less than me thinks they are "fat". Everyone all has their "fat-feeling days" and their "fit-feeling days". Also, don't put too much importance in the word they are using (ie. fat) as they may not mean "fat all over my body", they may mean that they didn't like the way their thighs looked this morning and then generalized it when they spoke out loud to someone because they were having a body image issue that day. Does that make any sense? LOL
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Try looking at it this way, OP: At your size, if you claim to feel fat, there's some 600-pound woman out there rolling her eyes.

There's always someone out there who's going to be bigger/smaller/shorter/taller/richer/poorer than you. The key is to stop making comparisons to others, and to focus on your own goals.

This so much.

Also We all say there's no perfect weight and not to aim for a number on the scale but what feels right. Therefore there's no exact hard cut off between fat, normal, and skinny. It's all a range and relative. If having people bigger than you makes it inappropriate to complain about feeling fat, then no one ever would. At what number or visual appearance does one get to classify themselves as fat on occasion? Someone's momentary view of themselves shouldn't affect how we feel about ourselves. If that's the case, then we're all fat because there's always a thinner person unsatisfied with their body.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am skinny fat (still) but I don't say I am FAT... I say I am skinny fat..

I did not read the other posts but alot of this is how a person views their body vs what how others do and actually voice their opinions..
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love how, in this thread, people hearing things are allowed to have feelings, but people who might want to say something aren't.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...her problems with her body have nothing at all to do with you. Shes not directing it towards you, shes not even thinking about you. You are taking what is a personal issue for someone else, and making it your own personal issue.

Sort of like how, I started out at 25lbs overweight...not only not happy with my body and how it looked..but I was (and heck, still am for another 5 lbs) overweight. But if I dared say a word about how I need to lose weight, I would get the 5th degree over how I dont need to lose weight because Im smaller than they are.

Not only am I not (for lack of a better word) allowed to have any opinion over my own health and body because of how it might make someone else feel, I found myself actually acting as if Ill never lose weight/ fine with the way I am and will just stay this size forever... and have to keep it completely to myself that Im busting my butt to improve myself, nor share any moments that make me proud of myself (like that Ive lost nearly 20lbs so far!)...just to make other people not feel bad about themselves. because anything I say about me, will somehow be turned into something bad about them..when thats not my intent at all.

Its rediculous, even as I do it, even as I write this, I think it sucks. But thats the way it is. Some people take everything personally and assume everything is about them, even when it has nothing to do with them.
  • ear1011
    ear1011 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    People do that when they are fishing for compliments my sister is so skinny and she doesn't eat for attention! Everyone on here is right, especially the first poster. It's about them not you! Keep up the good work and be happy with yourself don't give her the power to take that away. Happiness > being skinny :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Try looking at it this way, OP: At your size, if you claim to feel fat, there's some 600-pound woman out there rolling her eyes.

There's always someone out there who's going to be bigger/smaller/shorter/taller/richer/poorer than you. The key is to stop making comparisons to others, and to focus on your own goals.

This so much.

Also We all say there's no perfect weight and not to aim for a number on the scale but what feels right. Therefore there's no exact hard cut off between fat, normal, and skinny. It's all a range and relative. If having people bigger than you makes it inappropriate to complain about feeling fat, then no one ever would. At what number or visual appearance does one get to classify themselves as fat on occasion? Someone's momentary view of themselves shouldn't affect how we feel about ourselves. If that's the case, then we're all fat because there's always a thinner person unsatisfied with their body.

I'd like that very much actually :laugh:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also wanted to add..perception is everything. I remember when I was around 160...and at the time it being my heaviest weight..I felt *awful* and huge because I was used to, and liked myself at 145-150. Now? I look back and think how I would LOVE to be 160 again...

I wasnt trying to insult my future 192 lbs self by being unhappy with where I was at when I was 160 lbs. Thats not even logical. So dont compare yourself and completely base how you feel about yourself with completely different people than yourself...everyone isnt sharing the same journey. Everyone elses life isnt centered around you, what you look like, what youre doing...they have their own problems to deal with.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Tell her to just wait about 10 years. Then she'll be REALLY fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I love how, in this thread, people hearing things are allowed to have feelings, but people who might want to say something aren't.

You need to be more considerate with what you type. I think you just hurt my feelings but I haven't decided yet.

What if I typed that specifically to hurt your feelings? Sure it was my opinion and all, but that's the way this stuff works now, right?

FEEL the butthurt, baby. Pat Leo, you'll feel better.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    everyone's right! the girl was a little insensitive, but she's young and a little self-absorption might be expected. most women are somewhat dissatisfied with their bodies and are used to expressing that. the perception is relative. it's true that a person can have a low # on the scale and be unhappy with their body composition (it can even have health implications). yes, best to judge yourself by your own standards, and yes good to stay away from people who bother you inordinately.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @lemurcat12 because I'm too lazy to go back and quote ( :laugh: )

If the thread was from the point of view of the 19-year-old and she was saying "I don't understand why people roll their eyes at me when I complain about feeling fat" then I would say that she should choose a better audience for her venting. Absolutely, people should take the challenges of others into consideration. It doesn't really sound like she and the OP are even friends, so if she were the one who was writing this thread, I would tell her that those kinds of complaints will perhaps be better received by someone else.

But since we don't have her here, just the OP, my advice to the OP is to realize that the comments are about the girl, not the OP, and to realize that others are entitled to feel badly about their bodies even if their bodies seem great from her perspective. Most people's thoughts are truly mostly about themselves most of the time.

I just think it's a dangerous road to start speculating on who deserves to be able to vent and who doesn't. People vent to me all the time about general aches/pains or tension headaches. I could come back at them with "oh yeah? You should feel what it's like to have constant pain all the time. You should feel what it's like to have 18 migraine days per month." But I don't. I don't even think that honestly, unless I'm having a really bad day. And I don't think they're inconsiderate. I just think that most people aren't thinking about it that way, or aren't thinking it through at all. Sometimes people just need to vent. All we can control are our own actions.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If a 250 lb person said they were fat in front of a 500 lb person, I'm sure it would be the same.

Don't get offended so easily. I'm sure you have said something similar to someone that rad heavier, or had worse health problems, etc.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You need to be more considerate with what you type. I think you just hurt my feelings but I haven't decided yet.

What if I typed that specifically to hurt your feelings? Sure it was my opinion and all, but that's the way this stuff works now, right?

FEEL the butthurt, baby. Pat Leo, you'll feel better.

Leo is being a jerk right now. He's to busy barking at my niece and sister in law. He's busy being a bully.

That's a good thing, if you were to pet him you might become addicted.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Look, okay. You're super insensitive, and I feel sorry for your friend who can't confide in your about how they feel about their body. But anyway, before I lost 60 pounds I thought I was fat, now that I'm 107 I still feel fat sometimes because guess what, weight doesn't determine your self perception. The little pooch on my belly automatically makes me feel large, regardless of how other people around me look. It's how I feel about my body, not how I compare my body to everyone else. If she says she feels fat, looks fat, whatever, instead of being rude or offensive, why don't you be supportive and ask her why she feels that way?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I just think it's a dangerous road to start speculating on who deserves to be able to vent and who doesn't.

a.gif

People vent to me all the time about general aches/pains or tension headaches. I could come back at them with "oh yeah? You should feel what it's like to have constant pain all the time. You should feel what it's like to have 18 migraine days per month." But I don't. I don't even think that honestly, unless I'm having a really bad day. And I don't think they're inconsiderate. I just think that most people aren't thinking about it that way, or aren't thinking it through at all. Sometimes people just need to vent. All we can control are our own actions.

So sorry to hear you have them that bad too. Are you able to get botox for yours? I still have a headache most days, but botox has cut the severity of them WAY back. It took a while to get to that point.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I just think it's a dangerous road to start speculating on who deserves to be able to vent and who doesn't.

a.gif

People vent to me all the time about general aches/pains or tension headaches. I could come back at them with "oh yeah? You should feel what it's like to have constant pain all the time. You should feel what it's like to have 18 migraine days per month." But I don't. I don't even think that honestly, unless I'm having a really bad day. And I don't think they're inconsiderate. I just think that most people aren't thinking about it that way, or aren't thinking it through at all. Sometimes people just need to vent. All we can control are our own actions.

So sorry to hear you have them that bad too. Are you able to get botox for yours? I still have a headache most days, but botox has cut the severity of them WAY back. It took a while to get to that point.

Yes thank God. Before botox it was 18 days at least every single month. Now it's more like 9 most months.