needing a routine

Options
Hello everyone. I just joined the gym after debating it for a while and I am needing help with a routine.

What I normally do in the gym is start with cardio, either the bike or elliptical for about an hour then go onto the weight machines.

I alternate days, one day will be just legs, one day will be arms and abs.usually try to go 3 or 4 days a week.

Is this an ok schedule? On a normal day i usually get there around 4 and leaving by 6ish. I always wonder if I could be doing more in the gym.

My gym also has a ton of classes and a pool and I'm going to start doing those as well.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will give you a good basis for developing strength and maintaining muscle mass as you lose fat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What specifically are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals?
  • luv4u859
    luv4u859 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I want to lose maybe 20 to 30 pounds and then work on toning. I also want to gain strength.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I agree about the book mentioned above. I'd do a full-body strength workout every 2-3 days, with cardio on your non-strength days, or a short cardio session after strength. Mostly freeweights, not machines. The book explains everything.
  • luv4u859
    Options
    Honestly all my credit cards all full and I am really not trying to order anything else cuz of that and the fact that I want to save for vacation. That's why I asked here.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    luv4u859 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I want to lose maybe 20 to 30 pounds and then work on toning. I also want to gain strength.

I don't see anything in your post about eating habits. You'll need to focus on that if you want to lose "20 to 30 pounds".
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Honestly all my credit cards all full and I am really not trying to order anything else cuz of that and the fact that I want to save for vacation. That's why I asked here.

There's a program in my profile.. or google Stronglifts. Both are free.

• jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I second that & the app for the phone is easy & free!
  • luv4u859
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I second that & the app for the phone is easy & free!

Thank you
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Then check your local library or try stronglifts.com.