Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weights or cardio??

2»

Replies

• clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    I am 43 yrs old and I know what you mean about things changing. When I decided to "get in shape" I was doing cardio. About a year ago I hit a plateau and nothing was changing. I started weight training about 6 months ago. I train 3 days a week with weight and cardio 3x a week, alternating. I have since put on 10 lbs and yet everyone thinks I am still losing weight. It doesn't happen overnight or even a week, but it happens and it is AMAZING! I am going to continue because I have seen the results and I want more of it.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    For me I put cardio first to keep the ticker working better.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    First - stop looking to exercise to cause weight loss.
    Second - stop expecting results in a week.
    Third - don't expect "results" every week.

Settle in for the long haul doing something sustainable (food & exercise) and enjoyable - or if not enjoyable at least not miserable!
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    BOTH. No expert, but here is my real life experience: Started strength training 2 days/wk for 40 minutes with weights, mix of machines and free weights, with a trainer June 2014 to lose weight before my daughter's wedding. No planned cardio, just tried to walk more and drink more water/watch my nutrition. Started C25K at home on treadmill around Thanksgiving, now I try to walk or run about 3 miles on 3 days/week. I don't think I would've ever started or kept up with the cardio if I had not gained strength and endurance from the weight sessions.

About 10 months later = 30 lbs lighter and 4 sizes smaller. I'm 50. Gave birth to eight kids (no C-sections, no multiple births). Sit at a desk 7-10 hrs/day. This weekend, I wore a bikini (curr profile pic) for the first time in my life! Ultimate compliment was the fact that my kids were actually impressed vs. embarrassed :)