Swim to gym wear?

Options
minizebu
minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
Just curious if women have tried out Tryad swim/gym wear (used to be Nayad). I've had the site bookmarked forever, but have been hesitant to bite the bullet because it seems expensive and it's not easily returnable.

If you haven't tried this particular brand, can you recommend some other swim-to-gym-type brands that you've actually used? I am trying to plan for a trip where I want to minimize the number of items I'm packing while maximizing the versatility of what I'm packing.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about lap swimming type stuff, or lie around on the beach stuff? If the former, and you really, really think a one-piece Speedo is going to overload your suitcase, I'd check into compression shorts and a triathlon-specific sports bra. (Louis Garneau makes a pretty quick-drying one). It won't be "cute," but it's functional. Otherwise, I would probably find some cute bikinis with a supportive enough top to wear as a bra, and plan on wearing those as bra/underwear while packing separate gym clothes. I mean, "underwear doesn't take up room," until it does, but doubling up swimsuit/underwear is the same space saver as swimsuit/gym clothes IMHO.

Your real issue, space-wise, is the shoes, and I kind of doubt you're asking about sneakers you can use on the treadmill and in Aquarobics classes. :)
  • minizebu
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I guess that I'm looking for the right combination of cute and functional. I'd like something that I can comfortably wear into the hotel gym or in the surf at the beach that is quick drying, easy to hand wash in the sink, and is non-swimsuit-looking enough that I could also wear it walking back and forth through the hotel lobby without feeling overly exposed. Yes, packing a swimsuit and gym clothes and shoes may not sound like much, but when traveling with a family we all have to be selective about what we take so that we can fit into as few suitcases as possible, especially when the airlines are all charging upwards of $50 or more for each bag.

I suppose the whole bikini/underwear idea would work if I were ready to brave the beach in a bikini, but that's not really my style. I'd be looking for a tankini with a built in sports bra and a short/skort type of set up.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I looked at the site you mentioned and I think a few of their tops could work for the gym and walking around. Depending on the color you choose the tops might be able to pass as tank tops.

My only suggestion would be to go shopping in the sports wear sections/stores for clothes. A lot of the women's sports wear look like swim wear to me and I do not really feel a difference in the clothes. However, with what airlines chose to charge for checked bags and the cost of the clothes I do not think you are really going to be saving any money.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have thought that Kohl's (online) sells some tankini tops that could *very* easily pass as athletic tank tops, at least visually. I have zero experience with them so can't attest to quality/suitability for swim, working out, "passing" as streetwear, etc.

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens-active-swimsuits-clothing.jsp?CN=4294720878+4294737782+4294719679+4294719810

Free to return in-store. Free shipping if you order enough to meet the minimum (and then return whatever extra you had to order to meet it.)
  • minizebu
    Options
    Thanks for the link to Kohl's. You are right. They look like they could work and they are so much less expensive than the other site.
  • Sammefaye
    Sammefaye Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Love em!
  • brapower
    brapower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have and use their bras, sports bottoms, shorts, leggings, and my favorite bottom, the banded bikini. NO OTHER COMPANY offers a CUSTOM FIT to your measure. Their bras are the best with no other brand even close. They are individually HANDMADE in the US Virgin Islands by a long time fitness expert. In my opinion their prices are way low for their custom product. Over the last several years I have tried every major brand of sports wear and many styles and nothing was as comfortable or functional as TRYAD. https://theperfectbra.wordpress.com/