Who has kept it off

Options
2»

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've maintained about a 50 pound loss for over 10 years, minus 2 pregnancies (gained 50 & 60 pounds). It can be done!
  • tashiros
    tashiros Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    80 pounds lost. Two years now. Running second half marathon in june
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Around 18 months now

Bravo! I'll need that long just to lose the weight!

Thats about as long as it took me fwiw :), slow and steady!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since, umm, mid 2013? Something around there but I kinda stopped caring about a weight goal after I started having fitness goals. At that point the weight just pretty much started taking care of itself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Lost 60ish pounds in 2007-08 using MFP's tools and moderate exercise. Still at that weight (I gain/lose 5-8 pounds every winter/summer, though).
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a year and a half. I have been trying to loose the last 5kg during this time but generally staying around the same weight. I found the key to maintenance is exercise and regular weigh ins. The key to weight loss is diet.

I exercise regularly and try to keep within 1200-1500cal most days. I am not loosing because I am not particularly strict (read pizza, drinking and takeaway on weekends) but I am not gaining because I exercise and remain conscious. Previously I have lost weight and gained it back in 12 month cycles. I'd get to be goal and be like woo I am there or its too hard and stop dieting/checking. This time I stuck to it and got down to a healthy BMI, way below my previous 'low weight's and haven't looked back.

Occasionally I feel my pants getting tight and go back to watching what I eat closely. Its much easier to weigh yourself regularly and knuckle down if you put on a little than become oblivious and find you have put on alot.
  • MerRock
    MerRock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 70 3 1/2 to 4 years ago (I'd made a New Year's resolution, so I started Jan 1, 2011 on losing weight) and have kept it off. I have about 5 lbs that I'll go up and down depending on the holidays and vacation. But overall, it's been stable. The trick for me was to get rid of the bigger clothes as soon as they were lose. That way I know I'm gaining if my clothes are tight, and I can't just go into another part of the closet. And then I don't obsessively weigh myself, but I do make sure at least once a week I do.

I understand your fear of gaining it back. Before that there was a time I'd lost 40 or so lbs, and gained it all back. The difference this time, was I just changed how my mind thought. I read a book called "This Year I Will" about how your brain process change. That was a HUGE help for me. I credit it with why I was able to change my approach to weight loss and keep it off. So ignore that little voice that tells you that you're going to gain back. It's just your brain seeking the easiest neural pathway. (I might have that terminology wrong, but you get the idea.) People DO lose weight and they DO keep it off. :)
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I love seeing before and after photos, but I have one question, how long have you been at "after". I really can't afford to bounce back, and I'd love to see/hear from some folks who did it once and did it good!

It did it once and good. For me there was just no turning back...I was never going to be "that guy" again. Needed to change for my family. Why are you here? What is your primary motivation? Find that answer...and if it is strong enough you will not revert.

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs and have kept it off for about 16 months, I give myself a 5lb guide if I gain 5lbs I go back being strict with my cals and exercise but I still log my food and exercise daily I am scared of gaining the weight back.i dont want to go back there
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    themommie wrote: »
    I lost 115 lbs and have kept it off for about 16 months, I give myself a 5lb guide if I gain 5lbs I go back being strict with my cals and exercise but I still log my food and exercise daily I am scared of gaining the weight back.i dont want to go back there

This is what I'm figuring on doing. Log forever!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I've kept 50 lbs off since august. i need to lose another 50 still but maintaining what I've lost already since august. for the first time in my life i might add.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    80lbs gone as of Oct 2013 - Still going strong.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No crazy-big weight loss or anything, but I did Weight Watchers in 2009-2010 for about 5 months and lost 30 pounds and have kept it all off since. Am currently about 4 pounds under my WW "lifetime" weight and want to lose a few more pounds, thus being on MFP, but I haven't been technically overweight for 5 years now. You can do it! :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I lost 138pds kept it off 5 years until i had my daughter then gained too much back..Kept the extra weight on 3years then lost about 70pds again kept it off a couple years.. Been slipping again so trying to get back on the losing wagon.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Lost a total of 40 lbs in 2012. Fluctuate within five pounds - once I notice it creeping, I get on it and become more strict. I promised myself to NEVER have to re-lose that weight (body fat). I don't mind gaining it if it's lean tissue.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!