Should I have a "cheat day"?

Options
I'm new to dieting. Is a cheat day a good way to not be so strict on yourself, or is it undermining the whole process?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everyone follows different rules. I fit the foods I love into my calories so I don't feel the need for a cheat day. Some will go for it, others only for one meal so they don't go overboard.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like a Saturday night cheat meal. Last night it was Texas roadhouse, a 1/4 of a cactus blossom and a ceaser salad with a hot roll. YUM.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think consistency is key. To give you an example, if you have a bowl of cereal for breakfast every day for a week, your body will expect a bowl of cereal at breakfast o'clock and get grumpy if you don't have one. If you have a cheat day and have a massive fry up, the next day your body will remember that delicious blow out meal and you'll feel hungry when you're only having a bowl of cereal...

If you can, plan the blow outs. This a lifestyle change, not a faddy diet. You can't hide away from celebration dinners and the like forever. You can however try to eat a bit less in the days before and after so your calorie intake for the week isn't massively over what it should be.

Try to find an exercise you like - I started with walking. It's simple and it's free. If you exercise, you can calculate the calories burned from that (if walking or running, you can use a smartphone and an app, if something else, you can get a digital wrist band like FitBit or Jawbone) and add that onto your allowance. Basically, the more you move, the more you can eat - that's not cheating, that's about finding balance. And because you're refuelling - you burned more energy so you needed more energy - it doesn't knock off your balance the next day. If you eat normally, your body doesn't crave lots of extra food the way it would have done if you hadn't done that exercise.

But if you do have a day where you go overboard and eat and eat and pretty much slob out, the key thing is to not let that derail your efforts. Try to start afresh the next day and pick yourself up. You will fall off the wagon from time to time - happens to all of us. The important thing is not to let yourself get caught in a downward spiral of overeating - if you slip up, just start again. Eventually you'll find yourself slipping less often.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't have planned cheat days, I just try to eat consistently under/at my calorie goal most days so that if I do want to or need to take a cheat day, I don't have to feel guilty about it. I can go out with my friends & have the chicken strips, fries, & beer once in awhile, knowing that the next week (or two or three) I'll be back on track.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    No cheat days for me - an occasional cheat meal instead.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would say don't do it. It's easy to wipe out your entire calorie deficit for the week by overindulging for a day. Not worth it.
  • Kelamb10
    Kelamb10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How about instead of a cheat day or meal instead give yourself a reward meal and set a goal. That way it is a positive incentive and not a negative way to cheat on your food plan
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but don't go nuts, and I'd agree that a 'big' meal (I don't like the term 'cheat') is better than a whole day, because you can ruin your whole week's deficit if you go crazy.

I tend to go by weekly calories - I have a fairly lean week, so that I can have a couple of bigger meals/meals out with family/a few drinks over the weekend, and it usually works out ok.

I'd say if you've just started, see how you lose for a few weeks before muddying the waters with cheat days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want as long as it fits my daily goals. i think for (most) people... cheat 'days' can turn into cheat weekends, weeks, months and years.....

been there done that. LOL
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel like a whole day is excessive...but lots of people seem to make it work I guess.
    I indulge in higher calorie meals when special occasions pop up. Maybe once a month? But other than that, I try my best to fit things I want into my regular calorie budget.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I originally planned cheat days into my journey and realized I did not need them. I do have a splurge meal on occasion but plan it so I stay within my goal for the day by either eating less calories one of the other meals or exercising more.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    dzhuff wrote: »
    I'm new to dieting. Is a cheat day a good way to not be so strict on yourself, or is it undermining the whole process?

Cheat days are a bad idea cause it can really kill progress for that week and can lead to additional cheats. I think 1 cheat meal per week is ok if you exercise and watch your calories the rest of the week. Have a deaignated day and have your cheat tgen go straight back to being focused. I lost 115lbs that way and went from 270 to 160 and abs. The cheat day thing can really ruin your progress so be careful
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would say don't do it. It's easy to wipe out your entire calorie deficit for the week by overindulging for a day. Not worth it.

This.
  • missgiddyup341
    missgiddyup341 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's okay once in a while but I would not cheat say three times a week. That's just me. I would save cheating for a special occasion. I just ate a cookie (yeah I know, cheating) but then I went on a run and burned those calories... That's just my opinion though. If you feel the need to have a cheat day then do it but in moderation! Good luck!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you track it, log it, and make sure it's not so much that you've canceled your deficit from the rest of the week. I tend to save an extra couple hundred calories each day so I can have a bunch of booze or some fast food on Saturday, but I also make sure I weigh/measure it all and log it accurately so I can keep my weekly deficit.

If by "cheat day" you mean an unlogged free-for-all, then I'd say no. Too easy to eat the entire deficit you worked all week to create, too easy to slip into unawareness and complacency. Plan, track, log, make it work.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I think I've had at least 1 cheat day every week since I started CICO and in 2 months I've lost 10 pounds. It works for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are how I got here in the first place. :lol:

Over the past 4 years, I was eating quite well during the week, and I'd even lose a little weight during the week, and then ate a whole lot more on the weekends and would gain back what I lost ... sometimes plus some. It took me 4 years to gain 15 kg that way.

Now ...

1) I eat good food within my calorie limits so I don't need to cheat. By good, I not only mean low cal and yet nutritious, I also mean food with lots of variety and flavour.

2) I exercise a lot. When I cycle 90 km, like I did Saturday, I have lots of extra calories to play with. Yesterday, I had a cauliflower & cheese pie + a large apricot custard tart for lunch. Then I had a chocolate ice cream bar from the nearby convenience store after the ride ... good recovery food. I also had quite a large dinner and a bit of chocolate for desert. But I worked for it all, and it was all within my calorie limit.

No cheating involved.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week but, I always follow some rules like making sure I am in the green by the end of the week, eating at or under maintenance and log absolutely everything. I have lost 26 lbs in a little over 2 months. It doesn't seem to be slowing anything down.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat meal/day. I try to consistently eat nutritiously and stay under my goal and plan a day when I'm gonna go for that burger and fries or pizza or whatever higher-calorie deliciousness I want and make it fit. I can easily get nearly 1000 calories of food for one meal (which is most of my allowance before exercise) so I plan for it, saving up calories throughout the week if needed, and then I can enjoy my treat :) I don't necessarily do this every week, either. It might be every other week.

I try to keep my weekly average a little bit below my goal, even if a certain day is higher than it's "supposed" to be.

~Lyssa
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat. Just plan it and log it. If you go over your calorie goal work it off with cardio exercise.