What's the best fitness tracker?

Options
Hi, I am at the beginning of my journey and I would like to invest in a fitness tracker, but I do not have $200 to spend on one. I want to get the best bang for my buck, so to say! I have looked at the Nike, Garmin, and FitBit, but I didn't know which was best, or is there a better one out there? I glanced at the Jawbone(?) which was pretty cheap compared to the others... so I wonder, is it worth it?
Thanks in advance,
Kimber

Replies

• BillLollar
    BillLollar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to track...steps, stairs, heart rate, etc. There is a reason for price differences. You can get a basic no-frills pedometer to count your steps for $20 to $30 at any place like Academy Sports or Dick's Sporting Goods. The entry level Fitbit is only $60 or you can spend $250 for the top of the line model.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    www@sportsdistancecalculater.com I nice site to track how far you walk around town, and it will tell you how many calories you burn.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    www.Sportdistancecalculator.com
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pacer pedometer on your phone. The rest is up to your budget and gadget fondness.

Yamax pedometers have really good reviews for accuracy vs money. Jawbone provides the best entry-level priced combination of hardware and web / app support package. The Fitbit Zip folows within $10. The Mio Fuse has the most accurate heart rate monitor without a strap, but doesn't have the complete web / app support package Fitbit provides. The new Vivofit with long battery life (and an optional strap based HRM monitor ) should be launching any day now, the Fitbit Charge is an extremely popular choice due to its capabilities and pricing. Don't expect great accuracy and you will be as happy as I am :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I wanted to know was how many steps, km's and calories I've burned. I don't need all the other bells and whistles. So I opted for the fitbit zip
  • inkyonne
    inkyonne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on a Fitbit. Mine broke with very little use...
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone Up and I really like it. I picked the non-bluetooth one because I feel weird about wearing bluetooth 24/7 (yes, I know we are surrounded by wifi, but I still felt weird about it.) I believe they have stopped making those in favor of the new ones, so you can get my kind on clearance for about $40. The good news is the customer service is excellent, they have a great warranty and send out a replacement if anything goes wrong. My guess is once they run out of the cheapest one, they will reolace with the next level up at no additional cost.

The bracelet has a sleep tracker and vibrates if you set alarms or want to be notified if you're inactive too long. The app is really great too. I've worn my everyday since September and I believe it's been a major motivatior towards helping me lose the 50lbs I've lost. One caveat, it's not nearly as popular as Fitbit, so if you want the social networking aspect, you should go with Fitbit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    inkyonne wrote: »

Broke how?? I've only had mine for a little over 3 weeks...

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see if the heart rate monitor on the Jawbone Up3 works better than the Charge, it's a different technology.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We've been going back on forth on the Garmin and Polar Loop as we both swim. Polar loop is only good to 20m, Garmin to 80m. Garmin also doesn't have to be charged. Ended up with the Garmin...Amazon $59
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have the UP24, love it.
  • usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If youre just wanting to track steps the vivofit is good, i like mine, it doesnt do much else though
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What specifically do you want the "fitness tracker" to do for you?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    I'm curious to see if the heart rate monitor on the Jawbone Up3 works better than the Charge, it's a different technology.
    Less well even, at least when it comes to exercise
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Ok, bummer, I like the way it looks. :) It was supposed to be waterproof, but I guess it isn't so I'll probably pass.

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    inkyonne wrote: »

Broke how?? I've only had mine for a little over 3 weeks...

I've been using a Fitbit since Feb 2013 and have had no issues. I love it. I have a Fitbit One
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I thought the Jawbone Up 3 wasn't out yet. Have you received yours?

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit Surge, which I like very much. Fitbit has an excellent website. We've had three fitbit's in the house, so I guess you could say we are fans!
  • cspearl
    cspearl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One that I like a lot for tracking my steps, sleep, etc. The nice thing about the Fitbit is that you can add friends and do challenges so it's a good motivator. I also have a Polar FT4 to track my heart rate and calorie burn during workouts. It's nice for things like swimming and weight lifting that you can't necessarily track using a pedometer-type tracker.
  • kitkat6382155
    kitkat6382155 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    What specifically do you want the "fitness tracker" to do for you?

I'm mainly looking to see my calories burned during my dance sessions. I wouldn't mind some other things, but mainly the calories! I really liked the look and technology of the Garmin Vivosmart!