Rest day

Options
do you have to have one or is it ok to do an hour of cardio every day? I really love going to the gym every day, I don't want a day off unless I can't go for some reason

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i usually take 1-2 rest days a week, usually the day after a particularly grueling training day. i ran eleven miles today, i'm resting tomorrow.

i've found that if you don't schedule a rest day, you'll be forced to take one (due to fatigue or injury).
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't do any vigorous workouts, I do an hour of cardio at a pretty slow pace as I'm so obese (5'3" 242lbs) my heart rate gets to about 150, I only go level 3 pace on the treadmill At most, maybe 3.5 on occasion, level 4 incline at most too and I sweat like crazy on that lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you can rest at least 1 day.. but I do not understand how much cardio is done everyday you go to the gym? How long are your sessions and what intensity?

To give you a recommendation based on your goals,etc. I need more information. . but it is quite ok to exercise everyday but also good to let the body rest..
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't think you really need a rest day if your only exercise is an hour of walking. If you start running or lifting, then you might need to reconsider...or if you have an injury of some sort or feel extra tired:)
  • ChanaRo
    ChanaRo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with DancingMoosie...I only rest after lifting, not walking. But if you feel really tired and worn out the next day, by all means rest!
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A rest day after significant walking could be a good idea if you are obese. Recuperation time for the joints, (knees, ankles, etc)
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    A rest day after significant walking could be a good idea if you are obese. Recuperation time for the joints, (knees, ankles, etc)

True, my hip was giving me issues for a few days but it seems ok now.

I am obese, I do 20 mins on the upright bike 6 mets, 20 on treadmill, just walking, 5 mets, and another 20 on the lower bike 8 mets. Overall I burn between 550-750 calories depending on my effort

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So you exercise precisely 60+ minutes each day.. That is a lot of work on the legs.. I would say rest 1 - 2 days ...

It is certainly ok to do this everyday as long as you can sustain this exercise through your nutrition (not getting too tired or fatigued) and you are not susceptible to injury... IMO rest days are needed. Your body needs time to recover and rest as you could injure your self or you may just burn out..

This is your call to make as we all beleive in getting a needed rest period.. It seems that you are trying to get a daily calorie burn (everyday) so you just need to weigh out what works best for you and just know sometimes your body just won't go (even though your mind wants to)... this is a tell tell sign to rest..

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I usually try to take one day off a week from exercising. My muscles néed that rest time in order to grow.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I walk about 3-7 miles every day and I think it's fine. On the days I don't go the gym I walk 7 miles and on the 3 days a week I go to the gym to do weight/resistance training I only walk 3 miles.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Try doing an active rest day. So maybe just walking on the treadmill, no incline, enjoyable pace. Or go for a walk or leisurely bike ride outside, if it's nice on your rest day. Or do a nice long stretching or restorative yoga video (don't push the stretching too much, just enjoy it).

You can still get the psychological benefits of activity this way, and if you do genuinely take it easy, no pushing yourself, you can help ease stiffness and such from other workout days.

Do try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised how boosted you can feel day AFTER rest day! Rest really is useful to your body, it isn't being lazy, it's healing, adapting, changing.
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    Try doing an active rest day. So maybe just walking on the treadmill, no incline, enjoyable pace. Or go for a walk or leisurely bike ride outside, if it's nice on your rest day. Or do a nice long stretching or restorative yoga video (don't push the stretching too much, just enjoy it).

You can still get the psychological benefits of activity this way, and if you do genuinely take it easy, no pushing yourself, you can help ease stiffness and such from other workout days.

Do try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised how boosted you can feel day AFTER rest day! Rest really is useful to your body, it isn't being lazy, it's healing, adapting, changing.

That's a really good idea, thank you, I may do that tomorrow then :smile: