Watch ME Eat Healthy @ $12-$17 a week (5 days..M-F)...

Options
shanae727
shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
It all started when my husband challenged me (the meal prep star) to prepare a 5 day Healthy Meal plan @ $12 for 5 days. To combat the "healthy is too expensive". THEN..he threw another challenge to the challenge. The meals HAD to be different, couldn't add any more ingredients and I could NOT eat the SAME thing EVERYDAY (never tell a self-proclaimed meal prep expert that). So I wrote it out and made some adjustments. Added about $5.00 (total of $16.97) of food to the plan due to the calorie deficit I have from working out already.

I've planned 3 meals AND 2-3 snacks a day

There's soup, meatballs, cookies and more!!! 9 Ingredients ONLY!

Here goes...

Replies

• pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic idea! Well done!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How "healthy" will the days be? What will you be eating? Calories per day and macros in grams?

Healthy can mean so many things.... I tried to look at OP's diary but can't!
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How "healthy" will the days be? What will you be eating? Calories per day and macros in grams?

Healthy can mean so many things.... I tried to look at OP's diary but can't!

Healthy is getting in proper nutrition at the end of the day. Not sure what it means to you.

I got this photo from the Instagram listed
    xkt0iappthm3.jpg

From her IG, it doesn't look like she's going hungry. I don't think she lists her calorie goal either, but it seems that she does account for her calories burned.

I need to get off the internet and go to Dunkin, though....I've only had yogurt this morning and I am so hungry. Thank goodness for gift cards.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiment OP, good luck with it!
  • dragonmaster69
    Options
    Her thing, not mine. She's doing what she does, as long as she doesn't hurt anybody, I couldn't care less.

I am interested, though, in the amount of vegetable "fried" rice she's making because I could eat mountains of actual fried rice.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Her thing, not mine. She's doing what she does, as long as she doesn't hurt anybody, I couldn't care less.

I am interested, though, in the amount of vegetable "fried" rice she's making because I could eat mountains of actual fried rice.

I never said it was your thing. I'm just pointing out that I don't see the purpose behind it
    The purpose seems to be saving money, and that is really cheap. I don't think I could eat like that for $17 where I live.
  • dragonmaster69
    Options
    I didn't think you were, I was just stating that I don't really care all that much what she does. I think the purpose behind it is most likely to try to bust the idea that eating "healthy" can be cheap. Take a deep breath, man; don't stress yourself out over a forum post.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I didn't think you were, I was just stating that I don't really care all that much what she does. I think the purpose behind it is most likely to try to bust the idea that eating "healthy" can be cheap. Take a deep breath, man; don't stress yourself out over a forum post.

Do you mean the myth that eating healthy is expensive? 2 oz of ground turkey is hardly anything. There's not a whole lot of protein in that menu. I'm just making an observation. Obviously, she can eat however she likes. :wink:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    2 oz of ground turkey??? Yeah.. no. :noway:
  • shanae727
    Options
    My diary is now public! Sorry about that, I thought it was already!

The point of the challenge was to show that you can eat healthy under $20 ($17 in my case-for those who want to get healthier and don't have the extra income). So that A $1.00 Cheeseburger is not a go-to!

Without eating the exact same thing every day.

But you should look at IG (Shanae727) or my FB (Shanae Draper-Maxwell) because I described a few things considering the challenge there before you judge me. ;)
    thanks!
  • shanae727
    Options
    Also, there's a soup too that I didn't add to that menu posted above.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people say "eating healthy food is too expensive" so I think this is a great challenge to prove otherwise. I've been following OP on Facebook and her meals look delicious and filling.